Students find difficulty with summer job search

By Allison Sues

Breana Serluco, a junior in LAS, has turned in 15 applications in search of an additional summer job. In the past three weeks of her job search, she has had five interviews but no job offers.

Serluco has been an employee at Za’s, a popular Italian caf‚ on Green Street, for the past two years. The smaller campus population during summer sessions one and two require a much smaller staff to serve the campus vendors. Serluco’s and many other employees’ work hours have been cut, forcing an ongoing job search for more hours.

“It’s really frustrating trying to find jobs over the summer if you stay down at school,” Serluco said. “There’s just not enough work down here to get you enough hours. You shouldn’t have to work three different jobs just to get sufficient funds; it’s ridiculous.”

As Serluco recites a list of acquaintances that she knows of also searching for summer employment, she suddenly grabs a pen from her purse, scribbles a reminder on a sheet of paper and says, “Oh, I have to call Geovanti’s about an interview, too.”

Many students on campus face Serluco’s dilemma. With roughly 10 percent of undergraduate students registered for summer school, Campustown businesses have fewer to serve and require fewer employees.

Shadia Damra, an employee at Moonstruck Chocolate Caf‚ on Wright Street, is also frustrated by her slim summer work schedule. Moonstruck closes two hours earlier during the summer nights and currently functions with less than a third of the staff they use during fall and spring semesters.

“It’s annoying because summertime is when everyone wants jobs and has time to make money and save up for the next year,” Damra said. “During the school year, I work until two in the morning and have five classes, tests, homework. Now I only have one class and can only get 20 hours a week.”

LaVonne Novakofski, the assistant director and student employment coordinator for the Office of Financial Aid, agrees that jobs on campus during the summer are limited. “During the regular academic year nearly 8,000 undergraduate students are employed by University departments,” Novakofski said.

Housing is the biggest employer on campus during spring and fall semesters, followed by campus recreation and then the University libraries.

“Those three areas’ employment all depend on student traffic, which really decreases during the summer,” Novakofski said.

Novakofski suggests job-seeking students visit the virtual job board, available online through the Office of Financial Aide webpage. Most jobs currently listed are off campus, where community populations remain more stable.

“Finding a job off and on campus is like comparing oranges and apples,” Novakofski said.