Leasing early a blessing and curse

By Allison Sues

Many college students proudly boast of their procrastination abilities when it comes to studying for midterms, writing papers or finishing the final online quiz on Compass. One thing students at the University will not hesitate to do is find housing.

The main difference between college town real estate and other areas is that leasing season begins much earlier on campus.

“Big Ten schools across the Midwest are all experiencing this phenomenon of early leasing,” said Esther Patt, coordinator of the Illini Tenant Union. “Madison, Ann Arbor and Champaign all lease earlier each year.”

In 1990, the University students began leasing for the next year after the winter break. By 1996, the leasing season had rolled back to December. In 2000, rumors convinced students to rent before Thanksgiving Break if they wanted to find a good place. In 2002, the renewal deadline for most tenants was Oct. 1.

“Students contribute to this snowball effect,” Patt said. “They believe the perception that everything is going.”

The majority of landlords push back their renewal deadlines because they are afraid of vacancies. Also, they might want to have two damage deposits at one time, Patt said.

JSM Management lead this trend, renting out their entire Green Street Towers building for next fall semester by Oct. 15.

Jody Myren, leasing agent from Bankier Real Estate, said that some prospective tenants call her office as early as September for the following year because they are anxious.

“We lease early because we need to keep up with other realtors,” she said. “Right after we get everyone moved in for the school year, we need to begin leasing. We have no time for inventory. It is very, very rushed.”

“It is really hard, especially for freshmen, to figure out roommates for next year so early,” said Matthew Doherty, sophomore in applied life studies. “So much can change between your first months on campus and sophomore year.”

Transfer students carry the burden of early leasing trends even more so than the rest of the student body. By the time incoming juniors receive their acceptance to transfer to the University, the apartment rush has ended and the majority of students have settled their housing plans for the following year.

Housing questions were the top concern among incoming juniors at summer registration for transfer students, orientation student leader Haley Frampton said.

“The week of transfer student registration, the Illini Tenant Union office was swamped,” housing counselor Alexandra Chavez said. “It was crazy with transfer students frantic to find a place to live in the fall.”

For any students still in search of housing for this fall, the Illini Tenant Union has three suggestions. The best advice is to visit the Daily Illini classifieds online where landlords continually post openings, Chavez said.

After that, Chavez suggests visiting the Illini Tenant Union office, located on the third floor of the Illini Union. A comprehensive list of all housing options still available can be found in the office. There is always more housing on campus available than people to fill it.

The third step to take if the classifieds and the Tenant Union have not led to a housing option is to search kiosks, cafes and libraries for postings on sublets for next year, Chavez said.

“Not having housing for next year still is not the end of the world,” Chavez said. “You’re not going to be left without a home.”