International students juggle a new environment here in Champaign

By Christine Leonards

International students made their way to the University to experience the excitement of American culture, but some students may find it challenging to adjust to a new education system and a new country.

According to the Office of International Student Affairs Web site, more than 4,000 international students arrive on campus each semester.

The study abroad programs allow students to continue working toward their degree while experiencing a different culture. International students usually arrive on campus full of excitement and enthusiasm.

Robert Koblischke, junior in LAS, traveled here from Austria to study for the semester.

“I’ve always been interested in the United States so I’m excited to be here,” Koblischke said. “I’ve only been here three days so I haven’t seen much. But it looks like a nice, clean university town.”

Koblischke said he wants to travel and see as much as he can while he is in the United States.

According to the Office of International Affairs, “studying abroad can be one of the most exhilarating experiences of your life. Or, it can turn to be a series of bewildering and frustrating incidents that leave you longing for home.”

New students on campus face many difficulties and challenges. While most new students have four years to adjust and find their way around, international students have the added pressure of learning a new academic system and understanding a different culture within a semester.

Rakhi Sen, clinical counselor and chair of International Student Outreach at the Counseling Center, said that for the most part, the experience is great for many students, but there can also be a percentage of students for whom the experience is not.

Many expectations of American life usually stem from media exposure, Sen said.

“Expectations play an important role in one’s experience,” Sen said. “Students may feel they know what to expect, but like most media exposure, it’s only partially true.”

The experience will certainly be challenging, said Sen. Language barriers can be difficult, not only verbally but also academically.

“International students are learning an entirely different education system,” she said. “It is not easy trying to find your way around the library while at the same time need (you) to be reading that textbook you’re trying to locate.”

According to the Office of International Student Affairs, “It is common for people to experience culture shock when living in a new country. The vast majority of people go on to not only have a successful experience, but to truly enjoy their stay in the United States.”

Sen had suggestions of her own for international students to transition well.

“The most important piece of advice I can offer is not to be too quick to internalize,” Sen said. “It’s normal for some expectations, good or bad, not to be met. It’s normal to sometimes feel disappointment even when something is really exciting.”

It can be difficult for international students who do not have their normal support systems available, Sen said.

“One thing to remember is that Americans don’t usually seek out international students,” Sen said. “The initiative rests on the individual.”

Christos Xenophontos, sophomore in Engineering, came from Cyprus to obtain his bachelor’s degree. After studying here for more than a year, Xenophontos said he recommends forming a support group as soon as possible.

“Get out and meet as many people as you can in the first few weeks before you get swamped with classes,” Xenophontos said.

While the Office of International Student Affairs recommends that students focus on the positives, Sen suggests visiting the Counseling Center.

“When a student feels stuck and doesn’t know where to turn to next, that is when they should seek out a person who’s rational,” Sen said. “We’re a good place to start.”