Residence Hall improvements welcome students

By Kiran Sood

As the new school year approaches, the University is preparing to welcome its largest freshman class in history of at least 7,600 students. All across campus, visible changes, both internal and external, have been made to accommodate this incoming class. University residence halls underwent renovations to accomodate the high freshmen population.

Kirsten Ruby, an administrator for University housing, said that many changes had been made to accommodate the incoming freshman class. The main reason for such a large incoming class is that, although the same number of students received acceptance letters, more students decided to say “yes” to coming here, she said.

“This is good news for students for many reasons, but as a result, it means housing options for those who waited later to accept their admission are limited,” Ruby said.

Ruby said the University housing unit made many changes to help everyone feel more comfortable.

“We converted some common spaces on residence hall floors back to student rooms,” Ruby said. “The floor lounges were constructed as rooms and converted to common lounges at one time. When equipped with standard room furniture, these spaces are equivalent to residence hall rooms. Students housed in these spaces receive a 50 percent reduction in their room rate for the time they are in these rooms.”

Ruby said the University converted Sherman Hall into an undergraduate residence hall for this school year.

Some students, such as Jessica Villa, said they are adjusting well to their new dorms. Although Villa, sophomore in LAS, said that she was originally supposed to live in FAR, she was moved at the last minute to Sherman Hall.

“The rooms are really nice here, and it is close to everything,” Villa said.

Private certified housing experienced changes as well.

“Private certified housing owners allowed all cancellations to be re-leased to freshmen,” Ruby said. “One facility reconfigured its deluxe doubles into triples. Most units adjusted their waiting lists to put freshmen before older students.”

Returning students have especially noticed these changes and are openly welcoming them.

Swati Acharya, sophomore in engineering, is living on the third floor in Trelease of the Florida Residence Halls for the second year in a row.

“The first thing that I noticed were the carpets in the halls and lobby in the dorms,” Acharya said. “It really gives a different, but nice feel to things.”

Jen Koch, sophomore in LAS and a returning student at FAR, said the changes were very welcome.

“I liked FAR last year, but this year it seems even nicer,” Koch said. “The carpets make the place seem a lot more like home.”

FAR boasts of a highest freshman-population that makes up 90 percent of its residents. As a result, resident advisors are working extra hard to help freshmen become accommodated to living in the new quarters.

Treva Ellison, a resident advisor in Oglesby of FAR, said she is helping freshmen use the new facilities and get accustomed to campus in general.

“With a freshman class this big, it is really important that the students learn to work with each other in what can seem like such a tight space,” Ellison said. “We are trying hard to get them to feel comfortable in their new home away from home.”

Freshmen students also are adjusting to the new campus and are optimistic about living at the University.

Vimal Rao, freshman in LAS and resident at Illinois Street Residence Hall, says he is enjoying the atmosphere so far.

“It is homey enough,” Rao said. “It will just take some getting used to.”

Eddie Gonzalez, sophomore in LAS, said he really liked the new changes to the FAR dormitory he lived in, and to campus in general.

“Coming back made me realize how much I missed this place over the summer,” Gonzalez said.