Today marks annual Dump & Run at YMCA

Ross Robarts, senior in LAS, helps set up Wednesday for the YMCA´s Dump and Run Garage Sale at the U of I Stock Pavilion at 1402 W. Pennsylvania Ave. in Urbana. Online Poster

By Joe Parrino

While most students were away from campus this summer, the University YMCA was busy packing four semi-trucks with enough goods to fill hundreds of apartments and dorm rooms.

The University YMCA’s annual “Dump & Run” begins today at the Stock Pavilion, 1402 W. Pennsylvania Ave., that typically is used for rodeo classes and livestock shows.

“Imagine a typical garage sale times a million,” said Rachael Dietkus, the YMCA’s director of development.

Common items include George Foreman grills, Tupperware and space heaters. Other less common household objects include leaf blowers, gerbil cages and a rusty 12-speed bicycle.

Plenty of retro or vintage buys are available as well. A leopard print futon, Boggle set and word processor – it still works – should bring back memories to parents when they visit.

“Most students come for the furniture,” said Betty Earle, the YMCA director of operations.

Earle pointed out a brand new recliner that two volunteers just moved off the trailer. Disassembled but solid wood, bed frames are propped up against a living room set. Earle said coffee tables are especially coveted because of their $20 price tag.

Other quick-sell-out items include dishes and kitchenware.

“I have my eye on some snack plates for my mom,” said LAS senior Ross Robarts, who sported the lime green T-shirt of the Dump & Run volunteers.

Robarts was allowed to buy the snack plates before the sale opened to the public because he volunteered to unpack boxes and straighten displays Wednesday. That incentive drew many members of the community to donate at least four hours to the Dump n’ Run setup, Earle said.

Seventy-five percent of the students who helped out were already connected to the YMCA through programs such as Alternative Spring Break, Earle said.

Christel Ryndak, LAS junior, had a wooden cigar box tucked under her left arm as she leaned over one of the display tables to inspect some biscuit tins.

“These remind me of my summer abroad in Italy,” Ryndak said.

She responded to requests for volunteers because of her involvement with a YMCA program called Friday Forum.

“I knew it was a big event, and they needed help,” Ryndak said.

In addition to student volunteers, Earle mentioned the contributions from the community. Lincoln Challenge youths, Kiwanis Club members, University staff and other friends of the YMCA have each donated time and energy generously, Earle said.

Both Dietkus and Earle recommend students to come on the first day of the sale.

“The stuff goes so fast,” Dietkus said.

Dietkus said that last year’s Dump & Run had a line all the way down to Lincoln Avenue of people waiting to get in.

“Last year, we had nearly 2,300 people comb through the sale in four hours,” Earle said.

Earle also said it is a good idea to arrive ahead of the 3 p.m. opening today.

Today’s sale lasts until 9 p.m. and costs $2 except for international students who get in free. Friday’s sale is from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is free admission for everyone. Saturday’s sale goes from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and shoppers pay only $3 per bag of sale items.

Dietkus said the YMCA is still welcoming volunteers for clean-up after the sales.