Gas prices guzzlin’ students’ cash

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Tracy Culumber

As Louisiana residents watched floodwaters rise over 20 feet in some areas Monday, Aug. 29, residents of Champaign-Urbana watched local gas prices rise over 20 cents.

According to the Associated Press, oil and natural gas prices soared to more than $70 a barrel Monday, Aug. 29, after Hurricane Katrina forced workers to evacuate over 700 Gulf Coast petroleum refineries.

The Energy Information Administration said retail gas prices spiked across the country, averaging at $2.60 per gallon in the Midwest.

Timothy Lawyer, assistant manager of the Mobil-Super Pantry located at the intersection of Green Street and First Street in Champaign, said unleaded gas sold for $2.56 Sunday evening. By Monday afternoon, prices reached $2.79. Lawyer said several reasons contribute to the fluctuations in gas prices, including the war in Iraq, changes in drilling sites and resource scarcity.

“This is just like everything else,” Lawyer said. “It’s inflation. As everything becomes readily available to people, the burden has to fall somewhere.”

Shandrika Brock, a sales associate for Freedom Oil Gas Station, 1812 North Cunningham St., in Urbana, said she feels the effects of the price increase at work and at home.

“I know I can’t afford it,” Brock said. “I walk to work now. (Gas) is just too expensive.”

According to the Associated Press, the Natural Gas Supply Association predicted that gas prices could reach $3.00 per gallon as the holiday weekend approaches and as students prepare to go home.

Brock, who recently moved to Urbana from Louisiana, said that despite the increases, business has been steady.

“People still need gas,” Brock said. “Actually, we’ve been really, really busy today.”

Lawyer said the Mobil-Super Pantry did not lose many customers due to the price increase either.

“People understand that it is out of their hands,” said Lawyer. “The only thing we encounter is the occasional comment on the price.”

But some people are voicing their disapproval of the gas price increase.

Katie Coon, junior in LAS, said that she is not happy about the prices, but that she would continue to drive on campus as long as gas prices are below $3.50 per gallon.

“I’m trying to drive as little as possible, but my car’s been on empty for about a week now because I’ve been putting off filling it up,” Coon said.

Jim Cotter, head of circulation at the Undergraduate Library, drives to work everyday from St. Joseph, which is about ten miles east of campus. He said that the town only has one gas station, and consumers there are at the mercy of the gas companies.

“We don’t have much of a choice,” said Cotter. “And the bus doesn’t go to St. Joe’s.”

Dorothy Collins, owner of three Collins Oil Company gas stations in Champaign County, said there is no way to know how the prices will change in the future.

“Maybe things will get better after everything gets settled down in Louisiana, and the power gets restored,” Collins said. “It could take a week, it could take three weeks. Nobody knows.”

Collins said that the gasoline terminals in Champaign shut down yesterday afternoon, which means they are not outputting any gas. She said the local gas stations would need to get the gas from further away, driving up prices even more.

“Gas stations are going to get the brunt end of this,” Collins said.

She said Gov. Rod Blagojevich has multiple proposals to ease gas prices. One would eliminate the six percent sales tax.

“I was hopeful when I heard about (the legislation), but since it’s not going to happen, I don’t foresee any relief (coming from the politicians),” Collins said.

Another pending proposal for Illinois calls for investigations of price gouging at the local level.

“We answer to our parent company,” Lawyer said. “I don’t have the authority to make decisions on price. If (price gouging) is going on, it’s on a very large scale.”

According to the Associated Press, the Bush Administration has considered drawing from the nation’s emergency fuel stockpile to ease the oil shortage, local gas retailers and customers are skeptical of a break in prices, although many support the proposal.

“People are a little nervous because you never know what will happen,” Collins said. “We are very fortunate to be getting gas at all, and we should be thankful.”

– The Associated Press contributed to this report.