Locals help victims

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Online Poster

As victims of the hurricane across the nation are coping with the aftermath of the devastating disaster, people are being encouraged to reach into their pockets to donate to the cause. Charities and individuals in states nationwide are opening their doors to house victims.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich has said that Illinois will accommodate more than 10,000 refugees, according to The Associated Press.

Chancellor Richard Herman sent an e-mail Sept. 1 to all students stating what they can do to help the campus and community effort to ease the plight of the victims. The University, like many other institutions, is working with the Champaign County Red Cross to collect donations for hurricane victims.

Collections were taken Sept. 3 at the first football game of the season at Memorial Stadium. In addition, donations will also be taken at the second game Sept. 10 at the stadium prior to the game.

Kerrin Thompson, assistant manager of Human Resources at the University, helped coordinate the recent efforts at the football game.

“We felt that there was a need for something to be done,” Thompson said. “As a campus, we have to come together to help those in need.”

Thompson said almost $18,000 was collected Saturday.

“We hope to beat that number at the football game this Saturday,” Thompson said.

She also said that volunteers would be on campus Wednesday and Thursday at the entrances of various locations: the Quad, the Physical Plant building, Engineering Hall, Grainger Library, Wohler’s Hall and the Veterinary Medicine Basic Sciences Building.

Amanda Palazzo, junior in ACES and member of the Illinois Student Senate, said that it is important for students to work together to help victims in the devastated area.

“There are so many ideas going around right now,” Palazzo said. “People are coming in with so many great ways to help. This Friday, there will be a blood drive at the Union to collect much needed blood for people in the region that was hit the hardest. Students can stop in and donate, which would be much appreciated.”

Thompson said she looks forward to helping this Saturday at the football game, and said she feels that the total collected this past Saturday can be surpassed.

Josh Rohrscheib, graduate student, volunteered to help collect money this past Saturday. As co-president of the Illinois Student Senate, he felt that his organization should definitely take part in the volunteer efforts.

Rohrscheib e-mailed the Chancellor inquiring as to what his organization could do. After finding out about the opportunity to can for money at the football game, he said he knew this was how he could contribute to the cause.

“This was an amazing effort coordinated by the University,” Rohrscheib said. “I was amazed to see how very generous the people were. It was really a humbling experience.”

Rohrscheib also said that he and other leaders of campus student organizations would be invited to a meeting Tuesday at 9 p.m. at the Illinois Student Senate Office on the second floor of the Illini Union. He said the meeting would be to plan future volunteer efforts.

Organizations across the community are also working hard to pull together as many resources as possible to help victims in dire need. The local United Way, Salvation Army and Red Cross are helping with the Champaign County Hurricane Response Drive on Sept. 9. Mix 94.5 and the Illinois Prairie Chapter of the Red Cross are holding a “Donation Day” on Sept. 7. Salt and Light will collect and distribute food for relocated families. Main Street Bank and Trust will allow relocated people to open bank accounts with little proof of identification.

-The Associated Press contributed to this report