Lt. Gov. promotes military relief fund

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Caroline Kim

Illinois Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn held a press conference Tuesday morning at Monical’s Pizza, 205 N. Mattis Ave., to promote its donations to the Illinois Military Family Relief Fund.

Monical’s restaurants will donate 10 percent of all gift certificates purchased on Sept. 11 and Nov. 11 to the Illinois Military Family Relief Fund. The fund, signed into law in 2003, provides monetary grants to families of Illinois National Guard members and Illinois residents serving in the U.S. Armed Forces Reserve who were called to active duty because of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, according to a Monical’s press release.

The grants are designed to help families with the costs of food, housing, utilities, medical services and other expenses when the wage-earner of the family has left for active military duty.

“The decision by the restaurants, Corporation and Franchise owners to support (the fund) with this program is just one way we can let the Illinois soldiers and families know they are not forgotten,” Harry Bond, president of Monical’s, said in a press release.

Justin King, assistant manager at Monical’s Pizza, said he is happy that Monical’s is getting involved through this program.

“My best friend is overseas right now,” King said. “It’s great that we’re helping (the troops) out as much as we can.”

Monical’s restaurants will also host a Community Night on Oct. 11 where 20 percent of the subtotals from regular price sales accompanied by designated fliers will be donated to the Illinois Military Relief Fund.