Illini Union hosts volunteer fair

By Christine Leonards

Thirty-seven local community agencies and 14 student organizations will come together to promote service and volunteer opportunities for University students at a volunteer fair held in Illini Union.

The fair, organized by the Office of Volunteer Programs and the Career Center, will be held in rooms A, B and C today between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Organizations such as the American Red Cross, Champaign Park District, Habitat for Humanity and YMCA will be available to speak with students.

“We try to hold the fair in the first two weeks of September when students have returned and had a chance to get their classes sorted out and are more aware of their commitment availabilities,” said Amy Sponsler, director of the Office of Volunteer Programs.

More than 800 students attended the fair last year and Sponsler hopes to have over 1,000 students come this year. Students will have the chance to browse the fair for organizations they’re interested in, Sponsler said.

“The fair is a great way for students to talk with organizations one-on-one,” Sponsler said. “Local organizations need help and love college students.”

The volunteer opportunities span a wide range of interests, including health, youth, education, sports, recreation and food. Volunteering is not selective or restricted to areas of major specialization, so students have a lot of choice.

“Volunteering is worthwhile and rewarding,” said Elizabeth Rice, junior in LAS and director of Special Projects, a student-run volunteer agency and part of Volunteer Illini Projects. “I was immediately interested in volunteering within the first few weeks of my freshman year.”

Sponsler said that volunteering is a great way for students to get involved in the community and distinguish themselves by gaining a new perspective. Volunteering can also boost career prospects for students.

“Some students volunteer to get practical experience,” Sponsler said. “Health is the number one volunteering field.”

Students don’t need to have any previous experience with volunteering in order to get involved.

“I think everyone has something to bring to the table,” said Stu Schaff, junior in Business and founding director of the Illini Mentor Program. “Whether it’s study skills, social skills, or even basketball skills, it doesn’t matter.”

Schaff started the Illini Mentor Program last semester to help under-privileged kids in the community. He stressed how important it is for students to give back to the community.

“These kids need someone to look up to,” Schaff said.

Some students fail to volunteer because of lack of time and community awareness.

“Students can sometimes live in a bubble on this campus,” Sponsler said. “The biggest misconception students have is thinking they don’t have time to volunteer, when actually, they do.”

Rice agreed. Organizations such as Special Projects, which works with fifteen different service projects across the community, try to accommodate the needs of their volunteering students, she said. Schaff said that all a person needs to do is to make a commitment.

“It’s a humbling experience and makes you appreciate all the things you have,” Rice said.