Study Abroad Fair offers look at programs available

By Kiran Sood

Students can munch on refreshments and dream about foreign countries at the International Study Abroad Office’s annual Study Abroad Fair today. The fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in rooms A, B, and C of the Illini Union.

Jeremy Geller, director of the Study Abroad Office, 910 S. Fifth St., said the fair is usually held the first week of classes, but was rescheduled by the Union this year due to conflict with other events. He said the fair typically draws a large audience; more than 2,000 people attended last year’s fair.

“There will be several dozen booths – students can obtain information organized by country or region, academic college or department, or program provider,” Geller said. “Booths are attended by Study Abroad Office staff, staff from UIUC college offices or departments sponsoring programs and outside providers of study abroad programs or services.”

Erika Ryser, assistant director of the Study Abroad Office, said the fair would have many opportunities for students. She said the room would be full of tables that students can browse to pick up information about different international academic opportunities.

“They can also talk with study abroad advisors, students who have recently studied abroad and students from other countries,” Ryser said. “There will be representatives from the Study Abroad Office, different study abroad units from specific UIUC colleges and department-run programs, area studies centers and other organizations that work with UIUC to give students more program options.”

“There will also be some photos up around the room taken by students while abroad and a couple of games for visitors to play,” Ryser said.

Nina Polyne, sophomore in LAS, studied abroad last winter break in London and said she wants to travel abroad to study again. She enjoyed her experience in London very much, and highly recommends that other students try studying abroad too, she said.

“I want to go to Spain or another Spanish-speaking country next and study abroad because I plan on minoring in Spanish,” Polyne said. “I think this fair is a great way for me to learn about all the different programs that I can take a part of.”

Jenn Kreger, sophomore in LAS, also has studied abroad and enjoyed the experience greatly. She said the fair is a great way to see what new opportunities are available.

“I know that studying abroad definitely helped me get the most out of my college career,” Kreger said. “I think it is a great opportunity, and you should definitely do it if you get the chance.”

Benazir Chhotani, freshman in LAS, also said she plans on attending the Study Abroad Fair. She learned about the fair by looking at the important dates and events highlighted in her freshman planning book, she said.

“I am not positive yet as to what I want to major in because I am interested in so many different fields,” Chhotani said. “However, I know that I definitely want to study abroad because it is a great way to experience new cultures and lifestyles while learning at the same time.”