Latino studies hosts open house

Latino History Professor Adrian Burgos (Left) speaks with Latino Studies Program Director Arlene Torres at the Latino Studies Open House on Friday. Vadim Olen

By Kalari Girtley

With more than 40 professors and students in attendance, Latina/Latino studies kicked off its academic year with great enthusiasm and food at their 10th annual open house Friday.

Despite the packed house, students and faculty alike came together and engaged in conversation and laughter.

Director of Latina/Latino studies, Arlene Torres said this is an annual event that the program hosts. Torres said Latina/Latino studies is not an official major at the University, but students can minor in the field or develop an independent study to concentrate in the area.

“The mission of the program is to provide students with academic training in the field of (Latina/Latino) studies,” Torres said.

Torres said this program was developed in 1995, as a result of a group of students, faculty and postdoctoral students who wanted it. ÿ

“This program provides students with information about the fastest growing population in this country,” Torres said.

She said they work together with students and members from Champaign-Urbana and the state to provide a series of programs ranging from lectures to films to inform people of the Latina/Latino culture.

Along with Torres, associate director of Latina/Latino studies, Alicia Rodriguez, has great optimism for the upcoming year.

“What is so exciting about this year is that we have three new faculty,” Rodriguez said. “This will bring a lot of growth to the program.”

She said they will build a curriculum that is strong this year and hopes the program can be added as an official major in the future. Rodriguez said seven students pursued a major in Latina/Latino studies last year as an independent study, and they will have more than 15 students receiving a minor in this area this year.

“The program has been growing over the years, and since I have been here, most of the classes fill up right away,” Rodriguez said.

Abel Correa, graduate student, said he sees this open house as an advantage to get resources and input on classes, and a good way to gain a mentor.

“Today is really important because it is a chance to network and meet other people and faculty that can reflect the few Latino students who are here,” Correa said. As a graduate student, this event is a way to form a sense of community for him and others who are in his situation, Correa said.

William Garcia, junior in LAS, said he holds a great value for this program.

“What I love about this program is that I actually get to learn something about myself that I never learned in the textbook,” Garcia said. “This program is needed to enlighten everybody else, whether you are Latino, African American, Asian American, or white, about a segment of the population that is rapidly growing.”

Garcia said this open house provides the stage for both students and faculty to come together and interact with one another, and he feels this is vital for the students’ success.

“It is important to introduce the student population to the new faculty, the old faculty and just to the program itself,” Garcia said. “How else are you going to understand your people and what your professors are telling you if you do not understand their background?”

Sergio Wals, University graduate student, feels this program is making great progress. Wals said he completed his previous studies in Mexico City and loved the idea that this program, among others on campus, is promoting diversity.

“One of the greatest blessings of America as a nation is an opportunity to incorporate different cultures, different ethnic groups, different nationality backgrounds and bring them together in one land,” Wals said.