Champaign township faces budget crisis

By Eric Chima

The Champaign City Council held a special township meeting Tuesday to deal with a budget crisis that has arisen from a massive increase in the number of poor people receiving general assistance payments.

The township dispenses what Township supervisor Linda Abernathy called “Welfare of the last resort” to the unemployed, ill and homeless. Since Abernathy took office in May, the township’s clientele has risen from an average of 21 people per month to more than 100.

With reserve funds dwindling from $285,000 in July to an estimated $11,000 by the end of the fiscal year next June, Abernathy asked for an increase in general assistance funding from $56,200 to $210,000 as well as several other smaller budget amendments.

If the number of poor receiving assistance continues to grow, the township may be forced to apply for assistance from the state to keep up with payments.

“I knew immediately that (the money we had) was never going to last,” Abernathy said.

Abernathy said she has not changed any major policies since taking over the supervisor position from her predecessor, Linda Cross. Champaign City Councilwoman Kathy Ennen attributed the surge in clients to a change in attitude at the township office.

“I truly believe the poor have always been there; there are no more and no less,” Ennen said. “I believe the reason you’ve had (so many) people come into your office in one month is all about attitude.”

Restoration Urban Ministries, a Champaign-based program that gives housing, food and job training to the poor, sent a contingent of its residents to support Abernathy in front of the council. Ervin Williams, the executive director of the program, praised the work Abernathy has done.

“These are people that were always here and weren’t able to get support,” Williams said. “I’ve watched since Linda’s been in office and … it seems like there’s a vision there now and we’re going to see a difference in the next few years.”

Councilman Vic McIntosh did not see the surge in clients in such a positive light. Changing the township’s budget left less money to go around for the rest of the city’s programs, he said.

“In a few months, we went from around 20 to 100 candidates, and that’s a concern,” McIntosh told Abernathy. “I would appreciate your office looking in to this and saying ‘What happened?'”

The budget crisis leaves the future of the township in doubt. Abernathy said they might be forced to cut payments, which are currently $212 per month, if the number of clients continues to rise.

The Champaign City Council, which also serves as the township board, will discuss the budget amendments again in November. In the meantime, the township will transfer funds from some of its other investments to stay afloat.

Abernathy said the township’s role is mandated by the state and that the township supervisor had an obligation to provide assistance to all individuals who are eligible. She stressed that the township was not just giving money away.

“Our clients are homeless (or) near-homeless, they don’t have work skills and they’re not work-ready,” Abernathy said. “Only those who are eligible are being served.”