Perfect time for a tune-up

Dave Nordsieck, sophmore in LAS, works Wednesday afternoon on the quad repairing bikes to fundraise for the Students for Environmental Concerns and Cycling Team´s Bike Tune-Up. Amelia Moore

By Diana Blickensderfer

Flat tires, rusty chains, worn breaks, no breaks. Name your problem and they’ll be able to lend a hand. On Wednesday, Sept. 28, the Students for Environmental Concerns and the Illini Bicycle Racing Club held a bike tune-up fundraiser outside the Union between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. The event will be going on today at the same time and place.

The two organizations hold the event once a semester in order to raise money. The profits are split between the groups. The organization this year is donating all proceeds to Habitat for Humanity for hurricane victims, said Environmental Concerns president Joe Teng, junior in ACES. The bike club will be using the money to cover travel costs and support the club, said graduate student in engineering John Rowley.

All bike repair services are available for $5 or less. Additional supplies will cost extra. For a list of specific prices, see side bar.

“We can take care of most things that come to us,” Rowley said.

Most repairs can be done in a few minutes, but bikes can be dropped off and picked up later if necessary, he said.

Nicole Teran, sophomore in LAS, brought her bike in for a tune-up because of the “quality work for cheap.” She also stressed the need to give bikes attention because most are left outside all year.

“A little here and there will really extend the life of your bike,” Teng said.

With cold weather soon approaching, it is a good idea to make sure the bicycle will make it through the winter, said bike club member Mike Keller, graduate student in engineering. He added that a bike in poor condition is unsafe to the rider.

Both groups encourage students to ride bikes. Bike riding is important because it is clean energy that takes away from the need for buses and cars, said the Environmental Concerns Fundraising chair Katherine Olson, sophomore in ACES.

“It’s important for people to have bikes in good condition because that means less driving around,” said environmental concerns member Rebecca Russell, junior in ACES.

Students who don’t need their bike fixed can still donate money. Stopping by is also a good way to get a lot of useful information on the two clubs, Keller said.

“Everyone is welcome. We’d really appreciate it,” she said adding that extra volunteers are always needed.

Amelia Moore The Daily Illini

Dave Nordiseck, sophmore in LAS, works Wednesday afternoon on the quad repairing bikes to fundraise for the Students for Environmental Concerns and Cycling Team’s Bike Tune-Up.