Foellinger concert Friday to raise cash for Katrina victims

By Kiran Sood

In an effort to raise money for victims of the recent tragedy in New Orleans, the University is holding a benefit concert called Hope: The Katrina Benefit Show.

The concert will be Friday night at 7:30 p.m. at Foellinger Auditorium, and will feature performances by Dance 2XS, Illini Contraband, No Strings Attached, Soulessence, Raphael, The Greg Spero Trio and Kalia. The concert is sponsored by History Making Productions and Women of Color. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

All proceeds from the show will be donated directly to Katrina Relief Efforts, to the American Red Cross and the NAACP Katrina Relief fund specifically. Linen donations and other non-perishable items will be accepted at the door. Tickets can be purchased ahead of time for $7 at Ticket Central at the Union, or for $10 at the door.

Jerald Gary is co-founder and treasurer of History Making Productions, an on-campus registered student organization dedicated to providing the Champaign-Urbana community with musical productions and social events. He felt it was important to do his part in the University-wide effort to help the less fortunate who were affected by the disaster. He said recent efforts to collect money at the first two home football games inspired him to think of other creative ideas. Someone suggested the benefit concert at a meeting that was held to gather suggestions to raise money.

“It is a campus-wide effort featuring student artists,” Gary said. “All proceeds are going toward relief efforts and our target is to raise at least $10,000.”

Gary said this will give organizations on campus a chance to help bring relief efforts to those who have been devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

Dustin Keele, sophomore in LAS and resident adviser at Oglesby Hall, said this is a great way to get people to come together to raise both money and awareness about the recent events. He is encouraging the students on his floor to participate.

“I think the show is important because it’s us, the students, doing what we can to help,” Keele said. “Efforts like this prove that, though we’re far removed from the disaster, we care about our friends and neighbors who are struggling.”

Keele said going to the concert will be a great way to spend the evening while supporting a worthwhile cause at the same time.

Lisa Alexander, junior in LAS, agreed.

“I think the concert is a great way for people to come together in a fun atmosphere,” Alexander said. “We can enjoy music and entertainment, and still be doing something good at the same time.”

Swati Acharya, sophomore in engineering, said that attending this concert and donating what she can of her time and money is the least she can do.

“I cannot imagine having to go through what people in that area went through,” Acharya said. “I definitely plan on going to this concert, as it is a perfect opportunity to make my efforts noticed in whatever way I can.”