Study abroad adds three countries

By Kalari Girtley

With three new countries added to the list, the University Study Abroad Office’s third annual winter program has returned and is still accepting applications through October 5.

Dale Gardner, an adviser in the office, said this program is a wonderful way for freshmen to get introduced to the Study Abroad Office. The course is called LAS Global Studies and the class would add an additional three hours to the student’s fall schedule he said.

“The office has ten different locations it is sending students to, ” Gardner said.

Each program is taught by a professor from a different academic background. He said programs that are still accepting applicants are Bombay, India; Singapore; Morelia, Mexico; Costa Rica; Vienna, Austria; Paris, France; Barcelona, Spain; and London, England. The programs in Capetown, South Africa and in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador are already filled.

He said the program is for two and a half weeks, and all students are encouraged to apply to the programs.

“As long as you are competent with English, you shouldn’t have any problems,” Gardner said.

He said each program has a distinct way in which the class will be taught.

“They have the same over-arching theme but because of the different locations and the different disciplines of the professor, there are very different experiences for any program,” Gardner said.

He said with each program, students would be living in a student dorm or international student hotel. He said if a program were located in a Spanish speaking country, the student would live with a family.

“The fee looks like it is set for $1,950 with a deposit of $250, and students can apply for scholarships,” Gardner said.

Latoya Washington, senior in ACES, said her experience studying abroad was the greatest experience of her life. Washington participated in a program in China over the summer.

“I thought it was really good because I got to interact with the Chinese people who had not ever had really been to the United States,” Washington said.

She said while studying in China she was able to learn about the culture and language first-hand.

“Over all it was a really great experience, it was fully funded and it fulfilled a non-western,” Washington said.

She said freshmen should take advantage of this opportunity while they have the time, noting that freshmen are still young and don’t have to make the decision between giving up an internship for studying overseas.

“It is not good enough just to go to college and get a degree, you want to be able to stand with the best,” Washington said.

Jewell Hillery, senior in Communications, said she first studied abroad last winter.

“It was nerve-racking at first, I did not know what to expect,” Hillery said.

She said it was the first time she was that far away from her parents and that it helped her grow.

“Being over there I learned how to be more independent and rely more on myself,” Hillery said.

She said she hopes she gets into the Capetown, South Africa program for this winter, and she is expecting another great experience. She said everyone should take advantage of this opportunity, especially freshmen.