Night Market aims to end self-segregation

By Kiran Sood

Together Encouraging the Appreciation of Multiculturalism will host their annual Night Market event Friday on the Quad. The event will feature approximately 17 student groups.

The groups will have tables on the Quad where participants will have the opportunity to sample ethnic food, play board games, and get henna tattoos for free. Each activity represents a unique culture.

Kali Bhandari, senior in Business, former Illini Media Company employee and president of the organization, said that the importance of the event is to get people learning about other cultures in uncontroversial ways free of politics.

“TEAM’s central theme this semester is to break down the self-segregation rampant on this campus as much as possible,” Bhandari said. “This is one way to get people to step out of their comfort zones and learn something new, without being uncomfortable in the process.

“When you learn about unfamiliar cultures, you get far more comfortable associating with people of different cultures and hanging out with them on a regular basis.”

People can participate simply by showing up and enjoying themselves, Bhandari added. The event begins at 7 p.m. and will end at 10 p.m.

“We have plenty of food to go around and the performances are all free,” Bhandari said. “Each of the tables would love to talk about what they’re serving as well as what’s great about their particular culture, so it’s a learning as well as a fun experience.”

The whole idea is to have a fun, festive atmosphere where students can experience other people’s culture through food and entertainment, she said.

Ritu Parikh, sophomore in LAS and coordinator of Night Market, said that Night Market is a fun way to celebrate culture with an event that is free for all students and community members.

“I think it’s going to turn out awesome this year, we have a really great variety of organizations participating,” Parikh said. “This event is being held in order to encourage a celebration of cultures and promote diversity and multiculturalism on campus.”

“Events such as Night Market foster a sense of cultural pride, awareness and community and serve to break down self-segregation on campus, which is TEAM’s focus this semester,” Parikh said. “Night Markets in the past have been very successful with turnouts of over 400.”

Ketan Darji, sophomore in Engineering and international issues director for the organization, said that Night Market is basically a mini bazaar held outside on the south side of the Union. Night Market is the organization’s signature event to showcase not only a culture’s and country’s background but also its talents and food, Darji said.

“Night Market to me, however, is a time to celebrate the different cultures there are around the world,” Darji said. “It is a time to join everyone from different backgrounds and ethnicities to an event where they can enjoy a variety of cultures in simply a few hours.”

The groups scheduled to take part include the Asian American Association, the Mexican Students Association, the Burmese Community, the Korean American Students Association, the Philippine Student Association, the Arab Student Association, the Lebanese Cultural Club, the Singapore Students Association, the Indian Students Association, the Polish Student Club, Central Black Student Union, the Chinese Undergrad Student Association, as well as the Comunidad Argentina. The event also features performances from the Rip Chords, the Society of Celtic Cultures and a preformance by the Indian a cappella group, Chai town, Parikh said.