88 years swept away

Green Street erupted as fans poured into the street to celebrate the White Sox’ sweep against the Houston Astros in the World Series Wednesday night.

Fans climbed light poles and the Alma Mater as people cheered and chanted while proceeding toward the Quad.

A streaker with a well-placed sock, body surfers and people in gorilla suits fueled the celebration.

“This is the greatest sports night of my life,” said Pat Joyce, senior in ALS, who watched the game at It’s Brothers Bar and Grill, 613 E. Green St.

The Chicago White Sox won with a score of 1-0 in Game 4, securing the World Series for the first time since 1917.

Dan Ellis, junior in LAS, said all he has to do now to complete his life is have a son.

Most of the people who gathered at Legend’s, 522 E. Green St., had not witnessed a World Series title, but there was a feeling in the air that it could happen.

All eyes were fixed on the big screen as Houston Astros pitcher Brandon Backe wound up to throw the first pitch of Game 4. Sox hats bobbled as people jumped to their feet cheering while watching Backe start off with a ball. The fans gave each other high fives and clanked beer bottles showing pride for a team that has come a long way.

Dan Loman, sophomore in LAS, had strong confidence in the game’s final outcome.

“I like the chances of sweeping,” Loman said. He said he believed that the team’s “dominant pitching, solid defense, and clutch hitting,” would assure them the Series.

And his confidence proved right.

“I don’t believe it, it’s so emotional,” Loman said after the game. “It still hasn’t sunk in.”

Mike Donoghue, senior in LAS, was one of the first fans celebrating on Green Street. Screaming and calling friends, he greeted strangers and fellow White Sox fans with high fives and hugs.

Donoghue has been a lifelong fan.

“I grew up on the South Side of Chicago,” Donoghue said. “I went to high school a block away from U.S. Cellular, been a fan my whole life.”

The game remained scoreless until the top of the eighth inning, keeping viewers on the edge of their seats.

Stephen Moll, sophomore in LAS, noticed the Sox playoff potential during their series against the Cleveland Indians.

“I think they proved they weren’t the standard White Sox when they didn’t let the Indians catch them,” Moll said. “I started thinking they were a real team when they made the playoffs.”

“It’s incredible,” Moll said after the game. “I’m happy for my dad. He’s 52, and he’s waited for this his whole life.”

Crowds also gathered at dormitories across campus to cheer on the White Sox.

At Illinois Street Residence Hall, a crowd of people formed in the basement where late night was being served. Fans cheered and jeered at almost every play.

Upon the final out of the game, the entire crowd at ISR was on their feet yelling and cheering.

Hari Raja, sophomore in LAS, calls himself a huge White Sox fan and said it is an incredible feeling to win in a sweep like this.

“Chicago is my hometown, and this victory is amazing for us,” Raja said. “If I didn’t have a girlfriend, Chicago would be my first love.”

Fans agreed that seeing the White Sox do this well is great for the city of Chicago.

“I am not a huge baseball fan, but when a Chicago team is doing this well, it is hard not to be sucked in,” said Dev Sethi, sophomore in LAS, who watched the game at ISR.

“It is a really cool effect to watch the game here, especially at ISR because of the set up,” Sethi said. “Whenever either team makes a really big play, the whole courtyard seems to erupt in cheers or groans.”

Even though most of the game was scoreless, fans didn’t lose energy the entire game. They jumped, screamed, and kept focused during every play.

Jenny Fik, senior in LAS, could hardly find the words to describe her feelings. She attended games at the old Comiskey Park with her father as a young girl.

“I am so excited,” she said. “I have gotten so much crap for being a Sox fan, so now it’s kind of like we’re vindicated. It’s just really exciting.”