Myers announces candidacy for State Senate

By Vasanth Sridharan

Judy Myers announced her candidacy for Illinois state senator for the 52nd District Tuesday morning in a speech at the Champaign County Republican Party office, 106 W. Springfield Ave., Champaign.

Myers is vying for the spot held by state Sen. Rick Winkel (R-52), who said that he is not going to seek another term in office after his term expires in January 2007.

The 52nd District includes most of Champaign and Vermillion counties, including Champaign and Urbana. From 1997 to 2002, Myers was a state senator for the 53rd Senate District, which has now been split into two. That district included parts of Iroquois and Vermillion counties as well as parts of four others. From 1980 to 1997, she was the Vermillion County recorder.

“I have a solid record of defending business, of defending ag(riculture), of defending the people who work so hard for our universities and our schools,” Myers said in her speech.

Myers said she wants to work with the University and “make sure the (University) is represented in Springfield.”

State Sen. Dale Righter (R-55), attended the announcement and said he worked with Myers when she was representing the 53rd District.

“She’s the kind of legislator that people like and that people trust,” Righter said. “She comes across as a normal person and she is particularly in tune with the concerns of downstaters.”

One of the points that Myers concentrated on during her speech was small business. She said she comes out of a small business culture and she will work to represent those interests in Springfield.

Myers is running against Democratic candidate Mike Frerichs, Champaign County Auditor. Tony Fabri, chair of the Champaign County Democratic Party, said Frerichs declared his run in early September, about the time Winkel said he would not seek another term. He said Frerichs’ opponent did not concern the party that much.

“It didn’t matter which Republican was going to run, the Democrats are going to focus on our own candidates,” Fabri said. “Mike Frerichs is a very excellent candidate for State Senate.”

Both sides said they are anticipating a close and arduous campaign.

“I think that (the 52nd District) is a 50-50 district,” Fabri said. “I think (the race) will be something we don’t see much in politics anymore, and that’s a fair fight.”

Fabri said the State Senate race four years ago in this district was the closest race in the state that year. In that race, Winkel came out on top, preserving decades of Republican representation of the 52nd district.

Regardless of who wins next November, Righter said he is excited about the race.

“The political season has begun,” he said. “This is a chance for all the people out here to hear what the candidates have to say and decide who they want to represent them in Springfield.”