Journalist Ted Rall speaks at MillerComm lecture series

Ted Rall, a journalist, columnist and cartoonist for the Universal Press syndicate speaks at the Levis Visitor Center Thursday in Urbana. Amelia Moore

By Erica Aceret

Ted Rall, journalist, columnist and cartoonist, spoke about various political views and issues facing the current government Thursday at 4 p.m. at the Levis Faculty Center, 919 W. Illinois St., in Urbana.

Rall, as an internationally known syndicated journalist and cartoonist whose work appears in over 140 newspapers, came to the University to present his views on the current administration and his opinion on specific governmental issues. To start off the presentation, Rall presented the audience with some of his more recent humorous political cartoons, covering his view on how poorly the government has handled tragedies such as Hurricane Katrina and 9/11.

The lecture, titled “The Slow-Motion Suicide of the American Empire,” was a part of the Center of Advanced Study/Miller Committee lecture series.

“The MillerComm lecture series is a series of interdisciplinary lectures or presentations which bring people from the rest of the world to the campus,” said Liesel Wildhagen, coordinator of special events for the Miller Committee.

“I don’t think the fear ever goes away when it comes to whether or not my articles and cartoons will make sense and enlighten the readers,” Rall said. “I’m mortified by most of the stuff I’ve written. I have a total imposter complex.”

Despite Rall’s insecurities, most of the audience laughed at his comments.

“I’ve been to previous MillerComm lectures, and this one seemed to stand out because Rall is good at keeping the audience’s attention,” said Stephanie Mulka, freshman in LAS. “I like how he puts our country on an equal level with the rest of the world.”

The rest of Rall’s presentation consisted of his opinions and ideas of governmental issues.

“The purpose of these presentations is mainly to get people to think for themselves,” Rall said. “I want my audiences to feel like they need to be engaged in these issues, and that they have the free will to make things happen, or not happen.”

According to Wildhagen, George A. Miller, a renowned mathematician who worked for the University for 25 years, established the Miller Committee lecture series. The series has been established on campus for over 30 years.

“Topics and speakers come from all over the place,” Wildhagen said. “We bring them here to enrich us in the community. The lectures and presentations are an incredible resource for students and community members.”