Acid spill injures one

By Christine Won

A small amount of nitric acid was spilled in the Burnside Research Laboratory, 1208 W. Pennsylvania Ave., Thursday morning.

A 47-year-old visiting research specialist in agricultural and biological engineering was moving a box containing a 2.5-liter bottle of nitric acid when the bottom of the box gave out, splashing her and the surrounding cabinets and counter inside the food and bioprocessing engineering lab, said Mare Payne, associate director of the University’s news bureau.

She was immediately taken to the Carle Foundation Hospital for treatment and was released in the afternoon. Because of University policy to not disclose names of victims, none were given, Payne said.

Representing Carle, Allison McLaughlin, specialist in Carle Public Relations, said the hospital’s protocol for treating patients exposed to nitric acid is to irrigate the area with sterile water and a shower with regular water for 15 minutes.

With the help of other colleagues who were present in the room, the specialist washed the affected areas with water and called 911. Others were apparently not exposed and were not taken to the hospital, Payne said.

According to the National Safety Council’s Web site, nitric acid is a colorless, yellow, or red liquid used to manufacture pharmaceuticals, jewelry and explosives. Nitric acid can be corrosive to any tissue on contact.

Nitric acid was not normally used in the lab, but the victim had specially ordered the acid Thursday morning to clean an instrument, Payne said.

Nitric acid vapors can be hazardous, and the building was evacuated; the Urbana Fire Department received the emergency call at approximately 10:10 a.m.

About 13 firefighters responded, along with three fire engines and a fire truck company, and set up emergency decontamination, said Randy Hausle, Urbana Fire Department firefighter.

Darren Gentzler, facilities manager for agricultural science facilities within ACES, said he was called in around 10:15 a.m.

Firefighters used 50 pounds of sodium bicarbonate, commonly known as baking soda, and 40 pounds of granular absorbent, like kitty litter, to neutralize the acid and soak up the liquid, Payne said.

It’s standard procedure to call University police and Urbana Fire and Rescue Department, Payne said.

The Division of Research of Safety evaluated that the spillage was not completely neutralized and called in Bodine Environmental from Decatur, Ill.

The cleaning crew is expected to arrive Friday at 8 a.m.

Police cars closed all of Pennsylvania Avenue from Sixth Street to Maryland Drive until approximately 1 p.m.

The locks on the building will be changed to ensure no one can enter, said Ralf Moller, associate director for operations in facilities planning and management in ACES.

It has lab space available for 12 researchers, including teaching assistants. The researchers will work elsewhere until Monday, Payne said.

Burnside Research Lab is anticipated to resume its normal activities Monday morning, Payne said.