Representative addresses students

State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson speaks in the Pine Lounge of the Illini Union Thursday evening at a Town Hall Meeting sponsored by the Illinois Student Senate. The event was a question-and-answer session where students could ask their state legislators any Josh Birnbaum

State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson speaks in the Pine Lounge of the Illini Union Thursday evening at a “Town Hall Meeting” sponsored by the Illinois Student Senate. The event was a question-and-answer session where students could ask their state legislators any Josh Birnbaum

By Dan Petrella

State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson, D-103, answered a number of questions from students about budget, tuition, scholarships and other issues at a town hall meeting at the Illini Union Pine Lounge Thursday night.

The “Meet Your State Legislators” meeting was sponsored by the Illinois Student Senate.

Jakobsson acknowledged budgetary problems have plagued the state of Illinois in recent years.

“The state has had to face some very daunting financial challenges in the past few years, due in large part to the mismanagement of previous administrations,” she said. “I believe we’re starting to turn the corner. We have stared down budget deficits for three straight years. We balanced the state budget. We haven’t raised income tax; we haven’t raised sales tax.”

Although the University’s budget has not increased in the past two years, there have not been budget cuts, she said.

When asked about a bill she introduced to the Illinois House of Representatives in 2003 to eliminate the General Assembly scholarships, Jakobsson said she did so because many scholarships were being given to friends and children of campaign contributors.

“There was so much abuse that many, many people in the House of Representatives stopped giving out the scholarships,” she said. In addition, they cost the University over $4 million last year.

She said she feels there are many other sources for students to get scholarships that will not cost the University as much money.

Jakobsson’s longest response was to a question regarding her vote in support of legislation reducing state contributions to pensions for university workers and other state employees by $2.3 billion over two years.

“The plan that was voted on in Springfield was a compromise proposal that was agreed upon among negotiators of the General Assembly and representatives of the Illinois Federation of Teachers, the Illinois Association of Teachers, the Illinois Education Association, (Service Employees International Union) … all of who have members at this University,” she said. “They were all at the table, all in agreement to this bill. That’s very important to understand.”

The bill maintained the current retirement age necessary to receive full benefits and extended the early retirement option for elementary and secondary school teachers, she said. These proposals would have been eliminated by a plan proposed by the governor.

“The pension reform is a good deal for tax payers,” she said. “The only thing certain is that no one knows for sure how much money the state will save … but everyone agrees that the state is saving tens of billions of dollars.”

The audience asked Jakobsson additional questions on a variety topics including equal benefits for same sex domestic partnerships, textbook costs and energy efficiency of University buildings.

Justin Cajindos, junior in LAS and chairman of the Student Senate’s Government Affairs Committee, said he thinks questions focused on budget and tuition related issues because the rising cost of college is a major concern for students.

“It’s becoming harder and harder for students to be able to afford higher education,” he said.

Brian Pierce, junior in LAS and chairman of the Student Senate’s Academic Affairs Committee, said he found the meeting informative.

“I was fairly convinced that she’s concerned about the student body,” he said “She answered some of the questions thoroughly when she was pressed. I wish she had been, perhaps, a little more straightforward in some instances.”

Katie Dunne, freshman in LAS, said she felt Jakobsson avoided answering some questions.

“She seemed to have a very liberal standpoint,” she said. “I feel she talked her way around a lot of questions.”

State Sen. Rick Winkel, R-52, was scheduled to attend but cancelled due to a last minute emergency.