Champaign annexes new land

By Eric Chima

The Champaign City Council voted Tuesday to approve three different annexation agreements that, when finalized, would add over 160 acres to the city of Champaign, At-Large Councilman Tom Bruno said.

The three annexations are expected to add jobs to the Champaign area, raise more property taxes, and allow Champaign to become contiguous with several other properties that the city already has annexation agreements with, Champaign Planning Director Bruce Knight said.

In part because of the additional tax money the annexations will bring in next year, the city will be able to raise significantly more money than in 2005 without having to raise the overall property taxation rate, Bruno said.

City staff determined the city would need to raise nearly $16 million in property taxes next year, an increase of 17.89 percent over 2005, according to a resolution by the Champaign City Council. The dollar figure had drawn some alarm from citizens, but Bruno said property taxes would remain at a flat rate for the eleventh consecutive year.

The council also approved an amendment to the city’s municipal code designed to increase safety. Councilwoman Gina Jackson said the amendment would be a boon for college students living in private housing and apartments on campus.

“Some of those houses I’ve seen look unlivable,” Jackson said. “Your parents send you here to study, and you can’t study if you’re living in a fire trap.”

Among other things, the amendment bans charcoal grills and other open-flame devices from being used on balconies or within 10 feet of balcony construction. Other provisions address property that is not maintained or not structurally sound as well as the accumulation of garbage or other debris on property in public view.