Operation Christmas Child aims for international relief

By Ryan Davis

Natural disasters, famines and civil wars are usually the last thing on people’s minds during the holiday season. The lure of the holiday season and a relaxing winter break eclipse what is occurring in seemingly remote and distant places.

But Operation Christmas Child strives to change this.

The University YMCA sponsored group, Philippine Student Association and an international relief organization called Good Samaritan’s Purse have joined forces to sponsor Operation Christmas Child, a philanthropic effort to ease the suffering of children who have been displaced by various circumstances. The purpose of this collaboration is to fill shoeboxes with toys and presents that will be delivered to millions of underprivileged children all over the world.

A box-stuffing party will be held at the University YMCA, 1001 S. Wright St., in Latzer hall Wednesday from 7 to10 p.m. In order for this effort to work smoothly, the collaborating groups need volunteers to help stuff and wrap the packages for shipping. The YMCA will provide the necessary materials.

“The initial goal was to have 20 boxes,” said Thara Gagni, one of the organizers of the event and a senior in nursing. “But now we are expecting over 200 boxes.”

The packages themselves will be filled with everything from toys to hygienic products. The contents of the various shoeboxes will also include school supplies and clothing. Other possible objects will be picture books, watches, sunglasses and hard candy. Each box will be labeled as “girl” or “boy” and will also potentially include a picture of each box’s sponsor and a short letter to the eventual recipient.

These shoe boxes will be sent out promptly after what Good Samaritan’s Purse has coined “National Collection Week” and will reach more than 90 countries. The ultimate goal of the national organization in 2005 is to deliver gift-filled shoeboxes and share the true message of Christmas with 7.8 million children. This goal is dependent on outlets such as the University YMCA.

Although the YMCA is sometimes thought of as only pushing for local issues and events this is far from the case, said YMCA Building Director and House Receptionist Johanne Bloch.

“The YMCA is very involved with international efforts and has always been, especially the University YMCA,” Bloch said.

International relief events like Operation Christmas Child are dependent on the students at the University. Student groups on campus play a large role in coordinating such events at the YMCA.

“There are 11 student-led groups such as the PSA (Philippine Student Association) that are run with the support of the University YMCA,” said Program Director for the YMCA Becca Guyette. “We provide them with meeting rooms and pay for their printing.”

In the past, these student-led groups have been active in the community and abroad.

“The events they run are usually very successful,” Guyette said.