FAR flood victims receive no compensation

By Christine Won

University officials stated that Florida Avenue Residence Halls students will not receive compensation for the damages that occured on multiple floors Sunday morning because of acts of vandalism.

According to a mass e-mail sent by Jennifer Crum, the resident director of Trealease, and Andrea Cailles, area coordinator of Urbana South Neighborhood, to the affected Trealease residents, sinks in several bathrooms were clogged and left with faucets running, which caused floors 9, 10 and 11 to flood starting at about 5:30 a.m.

Kelly Cunningham, freshman in Business, saw broken mirrors and people with brooms trying to mop the water when she entered her hallway Sunday morning. Entering her room, she saw her carpet was soaked and used towels to soak up the water.

“I heard a drip, so I looked up, and it turned into a pour,” Cunningham said.

Parts of the seventh and eighth floors were also damaged slightly because of water that trickled down.

In the e-mail, Cailles promised to investigate the incident further with the help of the residents and the staff.

Kirsten Ruby, assistant director of housing for marketing, refused to comment about the possible, if any, suspects responsible.

“It is very unfortunate,” Ruby said. “Vandalism is a very disruptive situation, and we are taking it very seriously because it impacts a lot of residents.”

Ruby pointed out that the residents with affected damages had been asked to itemize their belongings in case the culprit is caught. But she said the University is not compensating for the damages because it was an act of vandalism they had no control over.

Kervens Vincent, freshman in LAS, said he was disappointed in the way the situation was handled because janitors showed up four hours later. His roommate Jonathan Ohiku, freshman in LAS, said his jacket, shoes, homework assignments and iPod were ruined because they were on the floor.

“The University’s response was horrible, people showed up hours after we fixed everything ourselves,” Kevin Williams, freshman in Aviation, said. “They used water vacuums to get the water out, and then all they did was tell us to leave our windows open because it’ll help things dry.”

A $250 Illini Union Bookstore gift certificate was offered to anyone with information leading to the person(s) responsible. If more than one person provides the information, the amount would be split.