Hospitality students offer gourmet meals to Spice Box diners

By Beth Gilomen

Diners in Champaign-Urbana can partake in a variety of exotic, gourmet meals every week through April. Seniors in hospitality management, a major in ACES, will be presenting meals of their design at the Spice Box in Bevier Hall, 905 S. Goodwin Ave.

Jill North, manager of Bevier Caf‚ and instructor of management of fine dining, the class for which students will prepare the meals that are presented at Spice Box, said the project is essential for hospitality management students. All decisions about the menu must be cleared through North and she is on hand at the meals in case she is needed, but other than that, students run the project.

“They handle everything from finances to managing the staff to customer service,” North said. “It takes the knowledge they’ve been acquiring and really shows its application. The process is multifaceted and enlightening for the students.”

Audrey Stoerzbach, senior in ACES, will be presenting her meal Friday. The project has helped her practice the event planning skills she has learned, while integrating her own creativity, she said.

“It was really important that the theme be very creative,” Stoerzbach said. “I noticed that South African wines have become more popular recently, and I molded my theme around that.”

Stoerzbach’s meal, “AAA Flight.Come and Experience a Flight of the Imagination Through Africa,” which will be served today, will feature exotic combinations including Senegal salad, Mozambique shrimp skewers, Cape Malay apricot curry chicken, and baked bananas Gabon, according to the menu she designed.

“Because my theme is so unique, I have actually had to start turning away reservations,” Stoerzbach said.

The instructors score the students in several areas, including menu, theme, and display, but also on their ability to break even or turn a profit.

Corey Timpanaro, senior in ACES, said public appeal plays a large part in the decisions he is making for his meal.

“I love trying new things, but some people aren’t as open to new tastes,” Timpanaro said. “You have to keep your audience in mind. I’m sending out personal invitations to family, friends, people at home, but two-thirds of the customers are from Champaign and Urbana”

Timpanaro’s meal, which will feature a New England seafood theme, is scheduled for Friday, March 10.

“It’s nice to get a chance to do something that really takes creativity and preparation,” Timpanaro said.

The experience is time consuming, but the end product will be worth all the work, he said.

“It will be a big relief to have it all done and see what I can do for myself,” Timpanaro said. “I’m sure it will be a great meal and people will love it.”

Guest chefs from around the Midwest will be on staff for the upcoming meals. Each meal features a four-course Pre-fixe including salad, appetizer, entr‚e, and dessert. A special salad and pasta or casserole and a specialty alcoholic beverage are also offered.