LiveUp promotes campus safety

By Kelly Fugo

A new ad campaign on campus is using iPods to deliver its message promoting safety on campus.

The campaign, called LiveUp, is offering podcasts; free mp3 downloads from local artists and other promotional offers.

“I think iPods can actually be part of the safety issue problem, but I don’t think that they are going away anytime soon, so we thought, what better way to deliver the message,” said Lisa Meid, spokesperson for the campaign.

The campaign, which launched Jan. 23, consists of a coalition of local groups and more than 40 individuals. Illini Media is included in the coalition, along withChampaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, who provided initial funding for the campaign, Meid said.

The campaign advises students to “live it up,” while being safe. Tips for being safe include turning down iPods while walking to class and making sure to listen for traffic above the sound of music, according to the campaign’s Web site.

That iPods and other portable music devices could be distracting to students has not escaped the attention of Police Lieutenant Vernon “Skip” Frost. Frost, who works for the University’s Division of Public Safety, said that portable music devices pose a substantial safety risk.

“I think the biggest thing is just not paying attention,” Frost said. “I mean, if you have headphones on, obviously you can’t hear vehicles … and if you can’t hear those things, it’s very difficult to maintain your train of thought and focus on your own personal safety.”

Art Kramer, a psychology professor, studies the effects of distractions on driver safety and performance using a driving simulator in Beckman Institute. He said pedestrians, along with drivers, are likely to miss changes in their environments when they use portable music devices and cell phones.

Given our limited attention capacity, it is difficult to multitask well, Kramer said.

“Of course, the attention you pay to songs playing on your iPod or car radio can also vary depending on how involved you are with the song, NPR program, etc.,” he said.

Kramer said, while he is not aware of scientific evidence that portable music devices are distracting, students should not use devices when they need to pay attention to other things.

Steve Schuldt, senior in Engineering, purposely uses his iPod as a distraction from smoking. As of Thursday, Schuldt has not smoked for 10 days.

“I’m trying to quit smoking, and it keeps my mind off of it,” he said. Schuldt has had his iPod nano since winter break. Distraction from campus traffic is not a concern for Schuldt, he said.

“I don’t think (campus safety) has a big impact on me personally, because at the age of 22 I think I can walk across the street without being stupid about it,” Schuldt said.

Michelle Kendzerski, sophomore in LAS, has had her iPod nano since Christmas. She wears it primarily when walking to class and is also not concerned about distractions.

“I don’t wear it to the volume extent where I can’t hear what’s going on around me, and I still look both ways when I cross the street,” Kendzerski said.