Politicians call law student ‘next big thing’ in Illinois

Patrick Traylor

Patrick Traylor

By Tracy Culumber

Observing Kristopher Anderson, graduate student, as he mingles in the Law Building, one might mistake him for a campaigning politician rather than a law student between classes. As it turns out, he is both.

Several Chicago leaders have dubbed Anderson, a first-year law student, as “the next big thing” in Illinois politics. If State Rep. Marlow H. Colvin (D-33) chooses to leave his position, 28-year-old Anderson is his potential successor, Anderson said.

Alderman Todd Stroger (D-Ill.), one of Anderson’s mentors, said he has encountered very few young people with the passion that Anderson has for politics and compared him to a young Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

“If Kris had his way, he would be congressman today,” Stroger said. “Politics are a strange thing; you should be prepared for anything because anything can happen.”

Although Anderson said his career could take him in endless directions, he is preparing himself both as a lawyer and a politician. After recently being named one of the “Top 30 leaders under 30,” in the February edition of Ebony Magazine, Anderson admitted most everything in his life reflects his interest in politics.

With a campaign poster as his Facebook profile picture and involvement in at least five political organizations on campus, Anderson is not shy about his ambitions. He even required a voter’s registration card as an admission fee to his 28th birthday party in January.

“Well, my friends just consider that typical Kris,” Anderson said with a shrug and a laugh.

Nicholas Gowen, a college of Law alumnus and long-time friend, said he was not surprised by this gesture.

“He has always been interested in politics and is always looking and striving to be a role model,” Gowen said.

Referring to the Young Democrats of Illinois as “a breeding ground for leadership,” Anderson said his involvement in the organization at age 15 jump-started his career. In the organization, he made friends with some of Chicago’s most influential black leaders.

“Kris is a charismatic individual, and he knows no lack of energy and knows no strangers,” said R. Scott Rochelle, president of the Black Law Students Association and second-year law student. “To know Kris is to know everyone; he has worked very hard to gain friends in African-American politics as well as the Democratic Party.”

As acting treasurer of the Young Democrats of America, Anderson has gained a large network of political and casual friends spanning from Chicago to Washington.

By age 25, Anderson achieved his dream of tutelage when admitted into the inner circle of Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.). Jackson’s friends often discuss social issues and share political advice.

“These are very intimate encounters in which (politicians) can let their hair down and not be guarded,” Anderson said. “These are excellent opportunities for background information and mentorship overall.”

Despite his potential for early success, Anderson said he will put his political career on hold to pursue transaction law, which he described as the often-ignored “sexy side” of law. The field interests Anderson because few African-Americans are corporate attorneys, and he wants to change that.

“If you know me, you know I don’t play the race card,” Anderson wrote in a recent entry in his blog, “Anderson for YDA.” “I am candid about race and encourage those conversations. We live in a society that is sensitive to the subject.”

Anderson explained that although it is very important for classes to be diverse, race has little to do with academic and social performance.

“In his class of 180, I’m betting every single student knows who he is,” Virginia Vermillion, assistant dean for academic and student administration for the college of law, said. “He is always thinking of others.”

Vermillion said despite his political prowess and academic acclaims, it is his compassion that sets him apart as a leader.

“Whatever field he chooses, it will involve him working for a large group of constituents or clients, and he will be working to advance their rights and interests,” Vermillion said.