UI unites against AIDS

Travis Austin

Travis Austin

By Kalari Girtley

The University became one of the latest schools to join Brothers and Sisters United Against HIV/AIDS, which is Gov. Rod Blagojevich’s statewide initiative against HIV/AIDS in the black community.

The governor created the organization on Sept. 20, 2005. The initiative was created to help educate college students about the disease. 20,965 blacks were living with HIV/AIDS in 2004, according to the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site in the U.S. Illinois had the sixth largest number of residents infected with HIV/AIDS in 2004 with 1,679. Additionally, there are 14,682 African-Americans are living with the disease.

“We originally started by finding schools that were interested,” said Marcelin Love, communication manager for the Natural Resources department.

She said the program selected various students from schools that were involved to become student ambassadors. Ambassadors act as leaders to help educate other students on HIV/AIDS prevention.

“I know the governor has been very concerned with health issues in general, and making sure minority groups have the same amount of health care that other people do,” Love said.

Meloney Arnald, communication manager for the Illinois Department of Public Health, said the governor has set aside 2.5 million for this initiative.

“Over the last several years, we have seen an increased number of cases in the African-American community compared with the rest of the population,” Arnald said.

She said the organization presents a clear message to college students on the true facts of HIV/AIDS. One feature of this initiative is the Wellness on Wheels program. Wellness on Wheels provides online HIV/AIDS testing.

“This allows us to take testing into the community,” Arnald said, “so people don’t have to go to a hospital.”

Angela Clark, assistant program director of the African-American Cultural Program said a

Lunch and Learn on AIDS in the black community was held on Feb. 2. The lunch kicked off the organizations affiliation with the campus.

“That day they were recruiting ambassadors from campus and we did rapid result HIV testing,” Clark said.

She said students could come to the lunch and get tested for this disease, and they would get the results the same day. African-Americans after getting educated should educate their communities, friends and families, Clark said.

“We have to make sure that we are educating ourselves, that we are protecting ourselves and that we know our status,” Clark said. “And that means you get tested regularly.”

The University is sponsoring the third annual “Dance Against AIDS” Saturday from 8:00 p.m. 12:00 a.m. at the McKinley Foundation, 809 S. Fifth St.

The fundraiser will benefit Greater Community AIDS Project, the Sexual Health Peers and the Teen Awareness Group and will feature Illini Contraband.