DMV opens new location at University

By Mike Theodore

The Secretary of State’s office is trying to make trips to the Department of Motor Vehicles easier for students.

Beginning Wednesday, a DMV office will serve Illini students and faculty on campus, in rooms 405 and 406 of the Levis Faculty Center, 919 W. Illinois St.

The facility will operate from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. It will also be open on March 29 and April 26.

The campus facility will not offer road tests for new drivers, but will offer new and duplicate driver’s licenses, state IDs, and vehicle stickers.

“I hope the students and employees take advantage of our service on campus, because completing these transactions early can save even more time later,” said Jesse White, secretary of state, in a press release.

Although the facility will be open to the public, it is designed to cater to students and University employees. Based upon transaction volume during the first three scheduled dates, the Secretary of State’s office will decide whether to open the facility more frequently and whether to continue the program for the fall semester.

“I think it’s a good program and we hope students and faculty take advantage,” said Randy Nehrt, a deputy press aide for the Secretary of State.

Students without cars have found the four-mile plus trek from campus to the Champaign Department of Motor Vehicles, 2401 W. Bradley Ave., time consuming.

Ankit Singh, sophomore in Engineering, rode the 9 Brown Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District bus to the Champaign Department of Motor Vehicles to take his written and audio-visual driver’s license tests. Singh said he had to skip his Friday afternoon Statistics 400 lecture to arrive at the Department of Motor Vehicles before the 5 p.m. closing time.

Singh said opening the campus facility is smart, because it will be convenient and save time.

Amanda Minch, senior in LAS, drove to the Champaign Department of Motor Vehicles to replace her lost driver’s license.

“It’s a good idea for students that don’t have a car or any other form of transportation, but why just one day a month?” Minch said.