UI to offer self-defense classes

By Janice Yi

The University’s Division of Public Safety is offering a new rape self-defense class on March 11-12.

The class, called Rape Aggression Defense, offered exclusively to women, will be a comprehensive overview of the aerosol weapon more commonly known as “pepper spray,” as well as alternative, physical self-defense options, in the event that a woman is attacked or abducted by a man.

“Aerosol defense is important because so many people come down here with aerosol canisters and don’t know how to use them,” said Sergeant Joan Fiesta, class instructor. “It ends up at the bottom of their purse where it can’t be used.”

According to Division crime records, there were a total of 22 reported victims of sexual assault and 144 victims of aggravated assault and battery during the 2004-2005 school year.

Pepper spray is an inflammatory agent that causes tearing of the eyes and swelling of mucous membranes. The weapon, when properly deployed, temporarily disables the aggressor, giving the victim a chance to escape.

“If you take crushed red pepper and put it in their eyes, that’s the effect,” Fiesta said.

The four-hour class will dismantle the myths surrounding pepper spray effectiveness, and give instruction on methods for purchasing and deploying the weapon. Students will also learn backup strategies of defense and escape in the event a canister fails. At the end of the course, students will be instructed on the laws regarding aerosol self-defense, and have an opportunity to practice in simulated attacks.

According to Illinois law, a person can use self-defense if he or she is in danger of death or great bodily harm. However, self-defense must cease when the threat is lifted.

“The whole goal is just to escape,” Fiesta said.

Course coordinator Tony Ortiz said that a majority of the crimes occur in close vicinity of bars.

“Alcohol seems to be the primary cause,” Ortiz said. “People who are intoxicated do stupid things.”

He added that drinking responsibly is an essential part of avoiding danger.

“Being intoxicated lowers your sense of awareness,” he said. “You might take a dark alley that you might not normally take when you’re sober.”

The new aerosol defense class is one of many Rape Aggression Defense courses, which are endorsed by the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators. The association provides resources for campus safety programming and education in a number of countries.

Haley Drake, sophomore in LAS, purchased a canister of pepper spray last semester through an awareness program by her sorority, Sigma Kappa. A special guest was invited to speak on the need to be familiar with basic self-defense tactics, and demonstrated several techniques, including breaking the attacker’s nose or slipping out of a wrist-grip.

“He taught us that if anything might happen, the best thing is to start screaming, ‘get away’ over and over again,” Drake said. “Then if anybody is even remotely near, they will probably back off.”

The aerosol defense class is only open to 10 students, and individual contact to Ortiz is required for registration.