LGBT forum hosts candidates

Josh Birnbaum

Josh Birnbaum

By Tatyana Safronova

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students addressed the nominees for student trustee about minority enrollment at the University, Chief Illiniwek and transgender issues at a forum Tuesday evening.

Candidates Nina Fuentes, Chris Kantas and Mike Trojanowski answered questions from students and questions prepared by co-sponsoring campus organizations. The forum took place at the Chemistry Annex and was sponsored by PRIDE, a Registered Student Organization that deals with LGBT issues.

All three trustee candidates discussed the importance of educating the University community about LGBT issues. Fuentes, sophomore in LAS, said acceptance – not simply tolerance – is necessary on campus. Instead of simply providing support services for LGBT students who feel uncomfortable, she said the whole campus has to be educated about the issues.

“It’s more about making the rest of the campus aware,” she said.

Victor Benitez, president of the campus organization Colors of Pride and senior in LAS, said a survey last year showed LGBT students were not completely comfortable with the climate on campus.

Kantas, junior in LAS, stressed the importance of providing support for LGBT students by creating a cultural house for the LGBT community and publicizing campus organizations that represent that community.

Fuentes said the creation of a cultural house would give students in the LGBT community “a lot of self-determination” and a place to feel safe on campus.

In response to a question about gender-neutral bathrooms, Trojanowski, junior in Business, said the University does not have the resources for them, adding that the restrooms are not a critical issue. After initially agreeing with him, Fuentes later changed her mind after a student expressed concern about the needs of the transgender community. Fuentes later said she was happy she came to the forum because it gave her a chance to learn about issues facing the LGBT community, such as the bathrooms.

The issue of the Chief divided the trustee candidates. Trojanowski, a self-described pro-Chief candidate, said removing the symbol would cost the University in licensing revenue. He said as an example that while the LGBT community said it wanted a cultural house and gender-neutral bathrooms, without the Chief there will be no money to pay for those needs.

“You can’t have both,” he said.

Fuentes said, “This mascot and all stereotypes (are) dehumanizing.”

She expressed the need to get rid of the Chief as a symbol even if it costs the University revenue.

Kantas stressed he will not be a single-issue candidate, and said there are more important issues on campus, including tuition increases and pedestrian safety.

To encourage minority enrollment, Fuentes said the University has to begin recruiting minority students from rural towns and inner cities.

Bridget Geraghty, a member of the political issues committee for PRIDE and junior in LAS, said campus organizations like the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance and Amnesty International co-sponsored the event.

“LGBT issues don’t just affect the LGBT community,” she said.

This was the first year this forum has been held.