New center to save animals

By Beth Gilomen

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals announced plans to open the new Animal Behavior Center at their offices in Urbana, 1717 S. Philo Rd. Suite 36. The center will be working in coordination with the University in the establishment of a new degree program.

Beginning next fall, the University will offer an Applied Animal Behavior Masters degree program. Gerald Pijanowski, associate dean for academic and student affairs for the College of Veterinary Medicine, said the program, offered through the department of Animal Biology, will give students advance training for certification in ethology, the study of animal behavior.

The center will also offer assistance to area residents in managing common pet behavioral problems. According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy, 9.6 million animals are euthanized annually in the United States.

Pijanowski said “behavioral problems are the number one reason that animals end up in shelters or are euthanized.” Behavior issues arise when owners do not exercise training from the beginning of the human-animal relationship, and the center could be an effective tool in dealing with these problems, he said.

Dr. Pamela Reid and Dr. Crista Coppola, both applied animal behaviorists, will provide behavioral counseling to pet owners. They will help solve common problems such as housetraining, growling, scratching, biting, disruptive barking, chewing and separation anxiety.

“Our center is dedicated to promoting a harmonious relationship between people and animals,” Reid said in a press release. “We believe this balance can be achieved through education, resulting in a better understanding of pets’ behavioral needs and how to address and successfully manage problems.”

Michelle McKnight, shelter manager for the Champaign County Humane Society, said the shelter has worked with Coppola in staff education and training programs aimed at better equipping the staff to help rescued animals with behavioral problems. The shelter will continue to work in conjunction with the Animal Behavior Center to advance understanding of shelter animal behavior, McKnight said.

The center will operate as a house-call service after a veterinarian has determined that the problem is not health related. The entire household will be asked to participate in education and training to be sure that all members will consistently address the issue.

Most problems can be resolved or significantly reduced within a few months of consistent treatment according to the ASPCA’s Web site.

Dana Farbman, senior manager of client and professional relations for the ASPCA’s Urbana office, said the fees are assessed on a not-for-profit, cost-recovery system. The service includes a first consultation and follow-up support for three months.