Campus Briefs

By Susan Kantor

Illinois Disciples Foundation to show social justice films

The Illinois Disciples Foundation will host their Fifth Human Rights Film Series starting March 9. The series includes documentary films that address human rights and social justice. “The Soldiers’ Heart” will be the first film presented. On March 16, the group will show “Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price and Lockout 484.” The series will continue every Thursday into mid-April.

Canopy Club hosts festival for Purim to help children

The first Purim philanthropy party and event will be at the Canopy Club on March 13 at 7 p.m. The tickets are $10 and all proceeds support Kids 4 Kids, an organization that helps children who are victims of terror. Dave & Steve will be opening the event followed by comedian Aaron Karo and food. There are also door prizes. The event is co-sponsored by Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Delta Tau, Zeta Beta Tau, Alpha Epsilon Pi and Alpha Epsilon Phi.

New University building to be used for manufacturing

A new building in the University’s Research Park, located near the corner of First and St. Mary’s streets, will be the first used primarily for manufacturing.

The 20,000-square-foot Technology Development and Fabrication Center will be on the southwest side of the park. Existing facilities are research or business-oriented.

The new facility is “technologically sophisticated,” said Peter Fox, cofounder of Fox/Atkins Development – the company commissioned to build the park.

Specifically, the single-story fabrication center features a clean room, which is designed to limit number of particles in the air of a manufacturing area.

Electrical engineering professor Kanti Jain owns Anvik Corp., a microelectronic company that will occupy part of the new building. His company specializes in lithography, printing circuits on large pieces of glass for companies. The company manufactures products for companies like Samsung.

Compiled by Erin Kelley and Whitney Blair Wyckoff