50 years of service

Roxey, a University of Illinois police dog, is pet by his owner during a presentation at the University of Illinois Stock Pavillion 1402 W. Pennsylvania Ave. Thursday. The show was part of the Champaign County Citizens Police Academy - a 10 week program i Adam Nekola

Roxey, a University of Illinois police dog, is pet by his owner during a presentation at the University of Illinois Stock Pavillion 1402 W. Pennsylvania Ave. Thursday. The show was part of the Champaign County Citizens Police Academy – a 10 week program i Adam Nekola

By Matt Spartz

The Police Training Institute, 1004 S. Fourth St., is celebrating its 50th anniversary of providing the state of Illinois with a unique, world-class law enforcement training program, said Tom Dempsey, director of the institute.

A resolution introduced by State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson (D-Urbana) was unanimously adopted by the Illinois House last Tuesday to recognize the Police Training Institute’s service to the community and the state.

“(The resolution is) a way to recognize the contributions that all of the faculty there has made over the past 50 years,” Jakobsson said.

The Police Training Institute was created in 1956 by the 69th Illinois General Assembly. Since then, over 150,000 police officers have trained there.

Dempsey said their training methods make them a prominent and unique facility.

“We truly deliver our basic training program largely through facilitated, small group instruction,” Dempsey said. “We’ve been so successful with it, and it is so unique, that we have academies across the United States that come to us and try to see what we want. To see what we’re doing now.”

The full twelve-week program exceeds requirements set by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board. For recruits, physical training starts at 5:50 a.m. each morning and regular training runs from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Sometimes training may even go as late as 10 p.m. Recruits receive hands on training in firearms and driving tactics.

“In some other areas we are actually fairly low tech and proud of it,” Dempsey said.

The Police Training Institute takes an old-school approach by letting recruits practice heavily with ammunition to gain experience. Recruits also work in real vehicles and driving simulators.

“It teaches them the actual dynamics of the car,” Dempsey said. “They’re handling a car with a police package.”

Catherine Somers, associate director of the institute, said the institute lets the University give something to the entire state of Illinois.

“Not every county might have someone who is attending the University as a credit student,” Somers said. “This gives the University an opportunity, not just through its research and technology . to have a day-to-day impact on the quality of life of Illinois residents by training law enforcement officers.”

Debbie Bosch, staff secretary to the director, said she knows the importance of their disciplined academy.

“We have to send them back to their units fully prepared to hit the streets running,” Bosch said.

Official celebrations are planned following graduation on June 15. There will be a reception and guests will include elected officials, from the state and federal governments, Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan, and representatives from the Police Training Institute’s partnerships in the Ukraine and China.