Champaign councilwoman to step down at end of month

By Frank Radosevich II

After 29 years in Champaign, with seven of those years spent serving on the city council, Dr. Kathy Ennen, at-large councilwomen, will step down at the end of the month, 10 shy of completing her term. She and her husband are moving to the small ocean-side community of Southport, N.C., where Ennen’s husband, Donald, will begin working for Primary Energy, an Oak Brook-based power generation company.

Ennen’s council career began, surprisingly enough, after her failed campaign for state representative. While going door-to-door and speaking with voters, Ennen said the Champaign residents were interested in state politics and issues but their key concerns and problems dealt with the local level. Persuaded by citizens’ concerns and undeterred by her loss, Ennen ran on a platform for a healthier community, city and quality of life. She won her at-large seat in April 1999 and was reelected for a second four-year-term in 2003.

“It’s an honor,” Ennen said about her elections and time spent on the council. “It’s a real honor.”

Juggling a full-time job and work on the council has been taxing at times for Ennen. She completed her Ph.D. in Nursing Science at University of Illinois Chicago while serving on the council and is currently employed as an assistant professor at Lakeview College of Nursing in Danville, Ill. In addition, Ennen said the workload of the council has grown with the years, requiring members to reader more extensively.

However, Ennen said she’ll miss her time spent serving the council, even if it was a delicate balancing act now and again.

When asked what she will miss most, Ennen responded, “The council, the Mayor, but also the people of the city of Champaign.”

Dr. Sara Wheeler, dean of nursing at Lakeview College, said Ennen will be sorely missed at the college.

“She has pretty big shoes to fill,” Wheeler said.

Wheeler remembers best Ennen’s hard work and dedication to the staff and to her students. Ennen joined the faculty at a time when the college was struggling financially. Wheeler credits her focus and drive as reasons for Lakeview’s eventual turnaround.

“Kathy never said ‘no’,” Wheeler said. “If there was ever something to be done, she would do it to the best of her ability.”

At the Tuesday night Champaign city council meeting, the council and public expressed their thanks for Ennen, including councilman Michael La Due.

“I don’t know who would put sitting next to me who’ll be nearly as much fun or nearly as engaged or passionate as Kathy has consistently been.” La Due said.

When asked about her new life in Southport, Ennen said running for political office is not necessarily topping her list. She hopes to first acclimate but plans to keep busy with volunteering and hopefully working for the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

Either way, Ennen will not be staying away from Champaign-Urbana for too long.

“Oh, I’ll be back,” Ennen said. “I’m not going to be a stranger.”