Champaign Township and City Council Roundup

By Frank Radosevich II

The City of Champaign Township board passed a resolution Tuesday night to present a referendum on the November ballot concerning an increase for the property tax extension limitation.

Deputy Mayor Michael La Due distributed to council members a letter from Mayor Gerald Schweighart. The letter, dated June 15, presented informal proposals drawn up by the Mayor before he left for vacation early this week. The Mayor wrote that the council’s approval of the smoking ordinance has “created a situation which is non-enforceable and puts business owners in a position of enforcing this new ordinance that restricts their ability to freely run their business.”

The Mayor stressed his ideas were “merely suggestions” and that the council would ultimately decide “where or if (they) proceed on any of these ideas.”

The council did not discuss the options nor is there any guarantee it will do so when the Mayor returns from vacation.

The informal list includes:

• Any new restaurant would have to come in as non-smoking;
  • Any bar serving only alcohol could remain smoking;
  • Offer liquor licenses at half price for non-smoking bars;
  • Increase of the number of class A liquor licenses available to non-smoking establishments;
  • Permit smoking before or after a particular hour.