Keeping your cool in a sticky situation

Tessa Pelias, The Daily Illini

Tessa Pelias, The Daily Illini

By Beth Gilomen

Summer time evokes images of swimming suit clad children frolicking through sprinklers, late night pool hopping, and sipping lemonade on a wrap-around porch. These methods of keeping cool could leave you feeling comfortable and refreshed, but are more likely to leave your shorts sticking to you.

Keeping cool in the heat is not just a matter of comfort; it can also seriously affect a person’s health. Heat stroke can be potentially life threatening, especially for the elderly. Air conditioning can help alleviate the effects of summer heat, but for those on fixed incomes, like students and senior citizens, making the call between roughing the heat, and spending extra on energy bills can be a big decision, especially considering record high winter heating rates and escalating summer 2006 gasoline prices.

This month, Gov. Rod Blagojevich began an initiative called the “Keep Cool Illinois” campaign to educate Illinois residents of the dangers of heat related health problems.

“Summers in Illinois can be very hot and humid, which can seriously impact people’s health and people’s pocketbooks,” Blagojevich said in a press release. “Through the ‘Keep Cool Illinois’ campaign, we are expanding energy efficiency and assistance outreach to help as many families as possible save energy, save money and stay cool during this summer.”

Recent years have not been exceptionally hot, said Steve Hilberg, director of the Midwestern Regional Climate Center. They have, however, been fairly warm, especially the summer of 2005.

In July, the average high temperature in the Champaign area is around 87 degrees Fahrenheit. Though the temperature at which people can suffer heat stroke varies, if the humidity is high, exercising or other physical exertion can cause heat related trauma.

“Humidity makes a big difference,” Hilberg said. “When the humidity is high, the body is not able to cool itself as easily as when it is low.”

High humidity reduces the evaporation of moisture from the skin, which is the body’s built in cooling system.

Raksha Swamy, senior in LAS, said she has experienced the unpleasantness of humidity this summer.

“I walk to work every morning around 9 a.m, and it is warm even then,” Swamy said. “It’s irritating that it’s so hot, so early. I get to work and I already feel sticky.”

Swamy also said that in past summers, she has experienced the beginning signs of heat exhaustion, including feeling faint, tired and dizzy.

Heat exhaustion is caused when the body’s temperature control system is overloaded, according to the Illinois State Water Survey’s summer heat guide. Body fluids are rapidly lost through sweating and require adequate hydration to replace them. Blood flow also increases to the skin, and can cause a decrease in the flow to vital organs.

When a person’s temperature control system shuts down, they suffer heat stroke, a potentially life threatening condition. In this situation, body temperature can rise high enough to cause brain damage and possibly death.

Swamy said she and her roommates have been running the air conditioning in their apartment everyday to keep them comfortable and avoid health problems.

“It’s too hot when we all get home if we don’t leave it running during the day while we’re gone,” Swamy said. “We’ve definitely seen a difference in our bills since it started getting hotter. If my parents didn’t help out with utilities, it would be a different situation. I don’t think we’d be using the air conditioning at all.”

Part of the “Keep Cool Illinois” campaign is the launch of a Web site dedicated to a variety of summer related concerns. The site provides information on the state’s Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, which allows for up to $8 million to make electricity bill payments on behalf of seniors, the disabled, families with very young children, and people with medical conditions that can be aggravated by extreme heat. The program would take effect if the National Weather Service issues an excessive heat warning for Illinois.

The Web site also has a section focusing on ways to cut energy consumption during while protecting yourself against the heat.

Ronnie Kweller is the deputy director of communications for the Alliance to Save Energy, an organization based in Washington, D.C., that promotes energy efficiency.

Kweller said there are several, lost-cost ways consumers can cut their bills.

“Shading certain windows during daytime hours and having the cooling system checked to be sure that it is functioning properly can make a real difference in the costs of regulating a home,” Kweller said.

Students can take additional steps by turning off and unplugging electronic devices when not is use, or asking landlords to purchase Energy Star appliances when replacement is required, Kweller said. Consumers can cut their energy bills by up to 30 percent by using appliances with the label, which signals that the device meets government standard for energy efficiency, according to the Alliance to Save Energy’s Web site.

“Taking some simple steps can help save natural resources and protect the environment,” Kweller said. “But, it can also help save you some money.”