City council sets deadline for replacing councilwoman

By Beth Gilomen

The Champaign City Council discussed the process by which former at-large council member, Kathy Ennen, will be replaced at their study session meeting Tuesday.

Ennen’s resignation after seven years on the city council leaves an open space, which will be filled by an application process. The council is required to appoint a replacement within 60 days after the vacancy occurs. The original plan, presented by City Manager Steve Carter, included a timeline, which would allow the appointment to occur at the meeting Sept. 5, past the 60-day requirement.

The council instead, gave direction to expedite the process in order to fit within the given time period. The appointment is now planned to occur at the Aug. 15 regular council session.

“I take the meaning of the word ‘shall’ to mean that we must comply with the rule,” said Councilman Ken Pirok (5) of the need to remain within the deadline.

Councilwoman Marci Dodds (4) agreed, saying she felt the council should be complete in time for a team-building event scheduled for the end of August.

Tom Bruno, at-large council member, said he felt any candidates who would be of serious consideration to the council should already be aware of the vacancy, and the new timeline should allow plenty of time for public announcement.

“To not yet be aware of (the vacancy), one would have to not be paying attention to local events at all,” Bruno said.

Advertisements will be used for informing the public at several different times throughout the process to inform the public and attract candidates. The city council will begin accepting applications for the position immediately, with the deadline set for Aug. 1. Interviews will take place at the meeting Aug. 8.

Bruno suggested that those pursuing the opening should send each council member a courtesy copy of the application, in order to allow for adequate consideration.