Council approves money for agencies

By Beth Gilomen

In their meeting on Tuesday night, the Champaign City Council approved money for several different agencies in the area.

The resolution allows for the distribution of more than $133,000 for community programs.

Among those receiving monetary assistance are the Center for Women in Transition, the Champaign County YMCA, Crisis Nursery and the Mental Health Center of Champaign County.

The council also passed resolutions approving plans for the city’s traffic signals and street signs.

The plans detail how signs and signals will be maintained, repaired and replaced.

Replacement of signs will now occur on a cycle, with the city broken down into sections.

Each section will receive a complete replacement of all signs within the section every 15 years, with spot repairs and replacements when necessary.

Installation of internally illuminated street name signs at a rate of three signs per year will also begin.

The program will involve a $15,000 annual change to the budget.

Voting on the Berbaum annexation agreement was deferred for discussion until the next regular council meeting Aug. 1.