Commission looks at effects of smoking ban

By Frank Radosevich II

The Champaign Liquor Advisory Commission heard public comments Tuesday morning concerning the impending citywide smoking ordinance slated to take effect in January.

Champaign bar owner Eric Meyer addressed the commission on the future effects and enforcement of Champaign’s smoking ban on local establishments, saying bar owners may need assistance on when, where and how to apply the ordinance during their daily operations.

“I think that the (commission) needs to maybe help provide some recommendations on methods of enforcements and definitions on specific things such as articles involving smoking and defining whether they are legal to be on that establishment or not,” Meyer said.

“There seems to be a lot of vagueness in the current ordinance, certainly in the enforcement area, on what is and isn’t smoking paraphernalia and therefore I think those things need to be defined.”

Meyer also asked the commission for a suspension of the liquor license fee increase until the full financial effect of the ordinance could be known.

“I would like the (commission) to consider some sort of resolution or recommendation to the council to suspend the liquor license fee increase for this year and to review that until we really truly know what the effects of the smoking ban will have,” Meyer said.

Meyer is the owner of both Kam’s, 618 E. Daniel St., and Pia’s, 1609 W. Springfield Ave.

Other owners echoed Meyer’s request for assistance and clarification.

Mike Murphy of Mike and Molly’s, 105 N. Market St., stated, “I wholeheartedly agree with everything (Meyer) said.”

Stephen Barnes, deputy liquor commissioner, said both Champaign and Urbana were planning to furnish bar owners with more information and would incorporate their questions and concerns in future discussions.

“The cities will also be providing more educational material regarding the smoking ban,” Barnes said.

“So we will take these questions into consideration and include more information into the packets.”

The commission said it will continue to discuss the smoking ordinance and its enforcement in subsequent meetings.

The commission also reviewed a proposal of suggested changes to Champaign city code on alcoholic beverages.

According to Sgt. Scott Friedlein of the Alcohol Enforcement Unit, the proposed changes aim to curb practices or situations that may lead to excessive or binge drinking.

“This (report’s) goal is to look at a way of dealing with overconsumption and binge drinking in the community,” Barnes added.

The report, prepared by Barnes, Friedlein and Assistant City Attorney Joseph Hooker, cited numerous practices and events that contribute to binge drinking.

Unlimited drinking events, personal pitchers, bottle service, celebrity bartenders and the free pouring of alcohol were all marked as promotions that according to the report, “create significant opportunity for binge or high risk drinking to occur.”

During the discussion, Friedlein was quick to point out that the proposal was merely a suggestion to be reviewed and, if necessary, altered.

“As we look at some various issues … one thing I think that is important to realize is that we don’t have all the answers, we’re just making suggestions after a brainstorming session,” Friedlein said.

No action was taken by the commission on the proposal.

However, Barnes said after the meeting it will eventually go forward to the council in one form or another.