Fire erupts during mass at Newman Hall


Beck Diefenbach The Daily Illini Beck Diefenbach

A fire erupted in a third-floor room at Newman Hall, 604 E. Armory Ave., causing the chapel to empty during a Sunday morning service. Lt. John Hocking, Champaign Fire Department, said they received a call at 10:42 a.m. about smoke coming out of the Catholic dorm. When he arrived, he said the firefighters were told there was smoke coming out of room 335. Hocking said the fire was actually in the closet of room 333 and that they were able to contain most of the fire damage in the closet.

“The RA’s did a very good job, they did what they were supposed to do,” Hocking said.