Durbin addresses financial aid, Iraq at Illini Union

Adam Babcock

Adam Babcock

By Ryan Davis

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) was on campus Friday in the Pine Lounge of the Illini Union to discuss a topic that affects a sweeping portion of the student population – financial aid. The senator said he is trying to raise awareness regarding legislation, introduced by Durbin and fellow Democratic senators, that would cut interest rates on student loans in half. This change would apply to all Stafford loans and parent loans.

Sen. Durbin expects the legislation, titled the Reverse the Raid on Student Aid Act of 2006 (RRSA Act), to face a holdup in congress.

“It isn’t going to pass this year,” said Sen. Durbin who said he believes a new congress after midterm elections will be necessary to approve the legislation.

Durbin was critical of the Bush administration for signing legislation on July 1 that raised interest rates for students and the Republican-led congress who he says cut $12 billion out of the federal student aid programs.

Also discussed at the senator’s hour-long appearance were the Iraq war, the use of torture by the United States government abroad and the recent comments Donald Rumsfeld made comparing those critical of the Iraq war to those who appeased the Nazis before and during World War II. Durbin said that this morning he sent a letter with fellow congressmen to President Bush asking for the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld citing mismanagement of the war in Iraq.

The “spend rate is $3 billion a week,” said Sen. Durbin referring to the cost of the Iraq war while pointing out that federal student aid has ironically suffered as defense spending soars.

For the full story concerning Sen. Durbin’s visit, read the Daily Illini on Sept. 5.