Visa issues hamper international student entrance

By Ryan Davis

It is early in the year and a graduate student returns to his homeland, China, to attend the funeral of a family member. After the funeral, the student attempts to re-enter the United States, only to learn that visa complications restrict such movement.

In recent years, this horror story has been all too common, said Richard Wheeler, Dean of the Graduate College. He feels it is part of the reason international graduate student applications dropped by 30 percent in the fall of 2004 at the University.

This phenomenon became a trend by the fall of 2005 when the same figure dropped another 5 to 6 percent. These declines came on the heels of Sept. 11, and related theories have evolved to explain the sharp downturn.

“Security concerns were overriding a lot of other concerns,” said Wheeler, who first looked at the effects immigration policy and Homeland Security have on applications. Wheeler said both issues are factors in the visa conundrum.

Wheeler also said that although applications have declined, admissions have been on the rise.

“What we do know is that admissions are up,” said Wheeler, who went on to emphasize that the number of international graduate students admitted this year was greater than last year.

Security concerns are not the sole explanation for declining international graduate student applications, Wheeler said.

“We’re in a much more competitive environment,” he said, adding that the increasing stature of European universities, which are attempting to recruit the same students as the University, has also played a role.

He said that European universities are starting to rival U.S. universities in doctoral training.

This concerns Wheeler, as he feels that international students are central in “maintaining the academic excellence of our graduate programs.”

Wheeler applied the same logic used with European universities to their counterparts in Asia.

Wheeler said he feels the universities in Asian countries, particularly China and India, are booming at the present time.

This is convincing international graduate students in Asia to attend local universities instead of relocating halfway across the world.

Academic institutions in other parts of the world are also stepping up to the plate.

“Australia, lately, has become very competitive,” said Huseyin Leblebici, Department Head of Business Administration. Leblebici claims this has a lot to do with Australia’s visa processing system, which he says is less confusing.

He also emphasized the increase in international applications to institutions in England where visa problems have also been minimal in comparison to the U.S.

The negative trend in applications that started after Sept. 11 could be coming to an end.

Applications rose moderately this year, according to preliminary figures.

The exact number of applicants has not been verified.

“We’re probably going to be in pretty good shape for the next few years,” said Wheeler, who is working to eliminate visa issues.