Green Street painted purple in fight against cancer

By Staff Report

Click here to view this slideshow>

A night of food, fun, and the color purple, all for the fight against cancer. Colleges Against Cancer will be blocking off part of Green street tonight to host its fourth annual “Paint Green Street Purple” block party.

Volunteer Development chair of Colleges Against Cancer Michelle Misiko says Paint Green Street Purple reminds us of how widespread cancer is and its importance to curb this growing illness.

“Everyone knows someone who has had a battle with it or is currently fighting the disease. So it hits home to all of us in different ways and this is just a great way to really promote how big college against cancer is and how you personally can make a big difference in the fight against cancer.”

A variety of games, prizes and performances by the Illini Drumline, Girls Next Door and the Xtension Chords are just some of the activities that will be presented at tonight’s event.

Misiko says this kickoff celebration helps promote cancer awareness and get the word out about other Colleges Against Cancer events, such as Relay for Life and Smoke Free Campaign.

“Since we work directly with the American Cancer Society, all the money we raise throughout the year goes directly to patient services, cancer research, funding, and directly to help patients with their treatments and eeverything they’re going through.”

The event will run from seven to 9-30 tonight between Sixth and Wright Streets. This is the only block party held at the University. The U of I founded the Colleges Against Cancer national organization in 2000.