Candidates contend for Senate seat

By Kathleen Foody

The race for the 52nd District state Senate seat to replace current Senator Rick Winkel, who decided not to run for another term, is moving forward with three candidates after a lengthy battle over ballot access.

Democratic candidate Mike Frerichs is a lifelong resident of Gifford, Ill., and has served on the Champaign County Board and as county auditor. He also ran for an Illinois General Assembly seat in 1998 against Tim Johnson, who later became a federal representative and is currently for state Senate in the 15th district. Johnson narrowly defeated then 24-year-old Frerichs with 61 percent of the vote.

Frerichs said his number one priority is reforming the way education is funded in Illinois, to eliminate the disparities between rich and poor districts created by reliance on property taxes.

Researching renewable energy sources like the use of biofuels and wind power is also a major issue for Frerichs.

“The major theme of my issues is looking toward our future,” he said. “We need to focus on what do we need to do so that 10 years down the road Illinois has the best economy in the country.”

Republican candidate Judy Myers resides in Danville, and began her political career when she was named to replace 53rd District state Senator Babe Woodyard after his death in 1997. She served until 2002 when redistricting combined much of the 53rd District with the 52nd, and Winkel won the state Senate seat.

Myers said she wants to concentrate on fixing the financial crisis the state is in.

“Before we can create any new programs, we need to improve our fiscal policy,” she said. “We have to stop pension raids. They are not just bad fiscal policy; eventually the debts are going to cripple any innovative programs that currently exist.”

Myers also said drawing new businesses to Illinois, and retaining them, is essential to improving the state’s economic conditions.

“We have to stop spending money wildly in this state,” she said. “Higher education and East Central Illinois are not getting their fair share because of the reckless spending of the current administration.”

Socialist Equality candidate Joe Parnarauskis is a lifelong resident of Westville, Ill., and a registered nurse.

His ballot status was recently challenged by Democrats, but the objection was overturned by the Illinois State Board of Elections several months after the initial dispute.

Parnarauskis said his campaign platform follows the essential issues of the SEP, including the withdrawal of American troops from Iraq and Afghanistan, defending democratic rights, raising living standards and fighting for social equality.

The candidates and their campaign managers are currently working out a schedule for debates, and all three advised voters to be aware of announcements concerning specific dates.

The last day to register to vote is Oct. 10 and Election Day is Nov. 7.