Professor works on living electronics

Architecture professor Osman Ataman and his colleague, professor John Rogers, are developing high-tech, integrated living environments. Essentially, these living environments would be entirely electronic and would enable a user to change things such as w Josh Birnbaum The Daily Illini

By Riley Roberts

Long confined to the realm of science fiction, computer-integrated living environments and high-tech houses are on their way to becoming reality, thanks to research being done by two University professors.

John Rogers, professor of materials science and engineering, is the head of a program that seeks to integrate electronics with “novel materials” – electronics that can be printed onto flexible surfaces and used in everyday life.

“A few years ago, Dr. (Osman) Ataman approached us about whether there might be an opportunity to use the technology we’re developing for living environments,” he said. “That way, you have an active, responsive environment that’s not just a structure.”

Ataman, professor of architecture, has been working with Rogers to develop habitable computer technology for four years, though he has been toying with the project himself for almost a decade.

“It will make living environments interactive,” Ataman said.

As of today, the prohibitive costs of these materials would prevent widespread consumption, but as technology continues to develop, they are expected to become much more affordable.

The team’s research is being funded by a number of sources, including the U.S. Department of Defense, the Air Force, various private corporations, and the University. Each financial supporter has an interest in the development of “habitable computer” technology.

The Air Force has expressed interest in what Rogers calls “structural health monitors,” or embedded electronic sensors wrapped around the wing or fuselage of an airplane that send information to a flight computer. These “cognitive aircraft” could collect data about temperature, wind and stresses on the exterior of the plane.

Another possible spin-off application of this technology would involve integrating sensors into a surgeon’s glove, providing doctors with real-time information about the ways a patient is responding to medical procedures.