What to expect this Homecoming

By Matt Spartz

That icy breeze cuts through the hot afternoon, the autumn sun has picked up, and the burnt-orange and red leaves have started to litter the sidewalks. The smell of football is in the air and Homecoming 2006, “Illinois Now and Forever,” will reach its climax this weekend.

Trumpets will blatt and bass drums will thump at the annual Homecoming Parade, kicking off at 6 p.m.

The parade will start from Sixth Street and Taft Drive, run through Campustown and finish off at the Quad. In his fourth year of parade involvement, Ryan Fitzgerald, Homecoming parade chairman, hopes to see a lot of people there.

“We have the marching Illini, a dance team, cheerleaders and an alumni band,” Fitzgerald said. “And of course, the float competition.”

Fitzgerald said the goal is to have the parade run straight into the Pep Rally, which is scheduled to begin immediately following the parade on the Quad.

The pep rally will feature a variety of performances, appearances by football team players and Head Coach Ron Zook, with a fireworks finale. Free refreshments are also provided, while supplies last.

It may seem there could possibly be no more excitement in one Friday night, but the events just keep on rolling.

Following the Pep Rally will be the African-American Homecoming Fashion Show in Foellinger Auditorium. This will feature the latest in fashion showcased to hit music.

The cost is $10 for student tickets purchased in advance and $12 at the door.

Also following the Pep Rally will be the Illini Union Board Variety Show in Lincoln Hall. Students will compete in different categories for prizes, and tickets are $5 at the door.

But once the orange sun rolls up the Saturday morning horizon, helmets will crack and Memorial Stadium will rumble as the Illini face off against the Indiana Hoosiers at 11 a.m. for the main event of the 96th annual University Homecoming.