Key 6th District race gets international attention

By Riley Roberts

It’s not every day that Arabic-language news network Al-Jazeera sends reporters to cover Congressional races in the American Midwest, but correspondents from the Middle Eastern giant as well as other international press agencies appeared at the College of DuPage Thursday night to cover a debate between candidates Democrat Tammy Duckworth and Republican Peter Roskam.

The two are vying to represent Illinois’ 6th District, a seat long occupied by Republican Henry Hyde, who announced he will retire at the expiration of his current term. Though Hyde won re-election 15 times since 1975, the race between Duckworth and Roskam is very competitive. Because of this, the congressional district has found itself in the national and international spotlight.

“There’s no question that the Democrats need to win this seat if they’re going to gain control of Congress,” said Jason Roe, campaign director for Roskam. “It’s the tipping point for the balance of power in the House of Representatives.”

Christine Glunz, spokeswoman for Tammy Duckworth, said she also believes that the stakes are high.

“It’s about moving forward,” she said. “It’s about the power of voters in this district and across the country to vote for change, to support (candidates) who want to improve things and change the direction of this country.”

This election year many variables have been used to explain Duckworth’s recent success. Although a change in demographics is an oft-cited reason for her sudden viability as a candidate, Roe alleges that the shift is overplayed.

“The values of this district have not changed,” he said. “(Duckworth) is a viable candidate because of her compelling story. She served admirably in the Iraq war. But once you move beyond that, she’s just yet another Rahm Emanuel.”

Roskam, a personal injury lawyer who also currently serves as a state senator, has been endorsed by Hyde to fill the seat that is being left vacant. Duckworth, an Iraq war veteran and double amputee, has risen from relative obscurity.

The Daily Herald reported that, at last Thursday’s debate, each candidate vigorously attacked its opponent on a variety of issues. Roskam accused Duckworth of being soft on terror, hard on taxes and lenient on illegal immigrants.

Duckworth criticized Roskam for his opposition to a ban on assault weapons, lack of support for embryonic stem cell research and failure to recognize failed policy in Iraq.

Last week was especially kind to Duckworth, as she received an endorsement from The Daily Herald and her opponent received criticism from another area newspaper.

A recent Chicago Tribune editorial admonished Roskam for misrepresenting quotations from the newspaper in his campaign literature, telling him:

“If you choose to quote us, please take care to relate what we said, not what you wish we’d said. Get it right, or leave us out of it.”

Despite the recent stretch of negative press, the Roskam campaign remains optimistic about the outcome of the race, attacking Duckworth for taking the party line and twisting facts.

“She (Duckworth) is being conveniently dishonest,” Roe said. “Peter Roskam knows this district, and she doesn’t.”