ONLINE: 52nd District candidates debate education, campaign ads

By Ryan Davis

Candidates running to represent the 52nd District in the Illinois State Senate butted heads on issues such as education, extending the rate freeze on electrical prices, and campaign advertising during a televised debate that aired Friday night on WILL-TV.

Democrat Mike Frerichs, Republican Judy Myers and Socialist Equality Party Joe Parnarauskis, who are all attempting to fill a seat left vacant by incumbent State Sen. Rick Winkel, R-52, jabbed at each other over their commitment to funding educational facilities such at the University.

Frerichs pointed out that Myers, who previously served from 1997 to 2002 as state senator for the 53rd district, was in office when the University received a 5.5 percent cut in funding. Myers countered by stressing that by the time she left office there was $100 million more in the state budget for colleges and universities.

Parnarauskis said the entire problem of educational funding could be solved by reapportioning wealth.

“We’ve got 19 billionaires in this state,” said Parnarauskis. “It’s time to reapportion that wealth to where it’s needed.”

All candidates came out in support of an extended rate freeze with Myers saying that she would like to see all parties sit down and discuss this issue before anything is set in stone.

Parnarauskis said the rate freeze is necessary but pointed out that a long-term solution would be to socialize the utility companies.

The debate also saw Frerichs and Myers point fingers over who first resorted to negative campaigning tactics.

Myers said Frerichs first ran negative television ads while Frerichs claimed that the Myers campaign started attacking him personally in a blog over nine months ago.

For the full story, read Monday’s Daily Illini