Durbin encourages UI students to vote

U.S. Sen. Richard J. Durbin makes an appearance on the Quad Wednesday afternoon to spread awareness on the ability to vote early in Illinois. Durbin spoke following appearances by Mike Frerichs, Dr. David Gill and Naomi Jakobsson, all there to talk about Brad Vest

By Riley Roberts

A chorus of cheers and applause greeted U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin as he addressed assembled students and reporters outside the Union yesterday afternoon.

“This has become an annual event,” Durbin, D-Ill., said of his visit to the University. “I’m glad to be here, and I’m glad you’re here too.”

The senator’s appearance came at the end of a brief rally held by the College Democrats.

Several candidates spoke prior to Durbin’s arrival, and rides were offered to the Champaign County Clerk’s office afterwards so students could participate in early voting, a new practice this year.

Speakers included Dr. David Gill, who is challenging incumbent Rep. Tim Johnson, R-Ill., for a seat in the U.S. Congress, and Mike Frerichs, who is vying to become state senator. Mike Richards, candidate for county clerk, also made some remarks.

The candidates discussed their platforms relative to Republican opponents and the impact that University students can have on this year’s elections.

“There’s a lot at stake in this race,” Frerichs told the crowd. “Four years ago, the Democratic challenger lost the election by only 600 votes. The Six Pack could’ve changed the outcome of that race.”

State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson, D-103, who is fighting to keep her seat this November, spoke about the choices that are available to voters on Election Day.

“Let’s think very, very hard about who we send to Springfield,” she said.

Dr. Gill emphasized the need for everyday people to become involved in government and illustrated his opinions with some of his experiences as an emergency room doctor.

“America deserves a change,” he said. “Together, we can change the U.S. Congress.”

Durbin’s arrival came at the climax of the event. Beginning his speech with the familiar cry of “I-L-L,” he spoke about the upcoming midterm elections and the importance of voting.

“This is a great university,” he said. “But even more important are the students.”

“The America we love is an America that comes together,” Durbin added.

In a brief interview with The Daily Illini, Durbin remarked on the widespread Democratic effort to reclaim the Congressional majority.

“I think we have a very solid chance to take back the House,” he said. “The Senate will be more difficult – there are three key states and we’d have to win two of the three … but we’re hopeful.”

The senator also responded to questions about Sen. Barack Obama’s possible 2008 presidential bid.

“I hope he does run,” Durbin said. “He’s just the kind of leader that America needs. … He can turn red states into blue states.”

When the rally was over, candidates dispersed and students were driven to the County Clerk’s office to participate in early voting.

“That’s the reason we’re here,” said Justin Cajindos, president of the University College Democrats and senior in LAS. “Hopefully, this will increase voter turnout. … We need to send a message to Washington and to Springfield.”